After Windows updates, can't start computer!

Solved/Closed
Jianna - Updated on Nov 12, 2018 at 12:41 AM
 matthew cannon - Aug 28, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to state I really don't know too much about computers. I know a little but I really don't know all the names/fuctions/etc. and I'm going to try and make this say exactly what my computer is doing but I may have a few of the words jumbled because my computer is at home being stupid and I'm at work trying to earn money to buy a new one. :p

Anyway, last night my computer automatically restarted itself in order for my latest set of Windows updates to take affect. After it restarted, it came up with the usual screen that states it is installing the updates, Step 1 of 3 and then the percentage of it being complete. After completing the first and sometimes the second step, my computer will suddenly restart again and then the screen with state "Loading Files" and then come up with a screen that says Windows could not start and that it is scanning the files to repair. After doing this for several minutes it tells me that it must restart and to click "Finish" to restart. I do so and my computer restarts and then loops right back to the Installing Updates screen and once again, after completing Step 1 or Step 2 it restarts and goes to the Loading Files screen and then to the Windows cannot start and the the repair scan. It looped like this all night long and then again was doing it this morning when I left for work.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Opearating System: Windows Vista

Also, I don't really know how to do a System Restore and am concerned I will loose all my files. I also don't have a backup, though most of what is on my hard drive is music (all gotten in the legal way though a complete pain to import).
Related:

113 responses

I don't know if this is going to work because I haven't tried it yet. I looked it up on the Sony website & this is what it says to do.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C454388

NOTES:

* If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode.
* If the operating system will not start in Safe Mode, perform a system restore after booting to the VAIO Recovery Center.
* If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode or Safe Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt, type C:\Windows\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe and then on the keyboard , press the ENTER key to start the System Restore.
* If the mouse is not available, use the TAB key, or ARROW keys to make the selection.

Good luck! :) I hope this works because I really need my lappy!
Hey guys I had the same problem except it restarted when it said step 3 100%. Now it's fixed. I don't know what happened but I just kept restarting for 4-6 times and it finally said 100% and got me to the login screen. Hope this helps anyone
If you live in London, They are the fastest and offers resonable price.

http://www.123fixmypc.co.uk

you can also email them for a quick advice.
when your system boots or restarts again press the F8 or tab key it will take u to the choice screen.
select the last known good config option.
hope it will work.............................................
Hi Ban I do what you said but nothing happened it still doing the same..

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
ssjkell Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 31, 2008
Oct 31, 2008 at 06:04 AM
I have pretty much the same problem as you. I also ran system restore, which reinstalls the files to how they were before the update occured. Unfortunately, this never completes and I am left with the problem of my laptop not being able to get anywhere. I blame microsoft for sending an incomplete or pretty f***ed update, as I also know of a friend whose laptop did exactly the same, she had a full backup though so hers is up and running again.
Hey Everyone,

I just did Windows Updates and my computer wouldn't start aftwards. I tried everything. Finally I shut the computer off and removed the battery for a second. This did it. My computer now works properly.
confused > Tom C
Jan 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM
I keep having the same problem, too. How do you remove the battery from your computer?
mina1345 > Tom C
Jan 29, 2010 at 09:39 AM
please tell what is the risks] of removing the battery in a computer
cmpguy > mina1345
Jan 31, 2010 at 09:10 AM
Well the only battery would be the bios battery which really should nvr have had any effect on how it would reset its autimatic updates sry no answer other then that.
@ mina1345
Desktop: if you remove the motherboard battery, you loose your CMOS settings. After the battery has been replaced you will need to reset system time among other things. In set up (press F1, F2 or delete during POST) look to see if you can restore defaults. That will save a lot of time. The coin-cell battery usually lasts 5 years, sometimes longer; it doesn't last forever, and if you see that your system clock seems to loose time in between uses, it's due to low charge from this battery (worn out). Some systems, Dell's Dimension 8300 in particular will flash a warning on the screen that your CMOS battery is getting weak. Most people never see this because they replace a computer before the battery goes dead. I have seen it because I still use a Pent. 2 system I built over 10 years ago. I have replaced the battery in it twice.

Laptop: The main system battery is usually in a compartment underneath. Removing it will not affect the computer, but some models may not operate without it inplace, even with the powersupply connected to AC power.
It was stuck in the "configuring update" loop even in safe mode. Since I don't have a Vista DVD (gee, thank a bunch Dell), I downloaded the Windows Pre-environment from Microsoft's website. Booting with it has the basic repair & restore point options just like an OS DVD would.

Thx for the help though.
FYI, here is the link to instructions on how to download a Vista recovery disk image.
This is not a system disk, but merely a bootable disk to allow you to access the recovery console when other methods don't work.
https://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
I am also having the same problem. The install did not work all the way now I can not get my system to start. Vista is really a mess. None of my hardware works on it. Now I don't even have a work computer. If anyone has a solution please post it. I have tried the f8.
After automatic MS updates of 2/25/09, text entry became slow and jerky, and the browsers crashed repeatedly. I tried to restore to a previous point, but then the browsers refuse to open and the computer is very unstable. I ran scans: no virus, no spyware. The computer shop now says that the Service Pack 3 corrupted Windows due to inocomplete installation or uninstallation. They are wiping the hard drive clean and will need to reinstall windows. The keyboard may also need replacing. Thanks, automatic updates! (This is a Dell Latitude 131L laptop with AMD processor.)
If you want to save your data and then reinstall your system I might be able to help u out hit me up at
Email id removed for security
Im having the same problems as everyone is. My windows wont even load ive tried the system restore,safe mode, and last good known configuration none of it worked. I'm a college freshman and I have a lot of essays and school work on my computer that I really really need. someone please help me asap truely appreciate it
Try changing your Memory ram... or Take it out and put it back in... It has to be a problem with the Ram or something... Afterwards you should be able, to enter safe mode, and restore your system
Brien > Quasarz
Mar 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM
idk what my ram is. I took out two green chips and placed them back in idk if it was my ram or not
Brien > Quasarz
Mar 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM
I mean where it is
Microsoft slipped one in on us with their updates- blew out your group permissions for EVERYONE and other key user locations
i had the same problem of my laptop restarting ova n ova.
had to do system restore.
but now the restored files dont wanna work
Same here. Microsoft is pump n' dumping us. Making us wanna give up on vista and go and splurge on a Windows 7 install disk ... I'll show 'em I'm going with an Apple next time - sons of b#@$tches
Hi I have the same problem but I can't even start it this blue screen comes up and says Windows has detected an error and so on and says stuff like BIOS shadowing but I have the disk for windows XP service pack 2. thanks if u could help
I have this same problem. The system is booting but it shows black screen on the end. Cant see my desktop, cant see anything. What I can do to repair it? Just to mention I have laptop and never receivrd CD with windows vista.
If anyone can help Ann I would appreciate an answer to this question. I did Xp updates but wouldn't reboot all it shows is my processor logo and the DVD drive clicks acouple of times then everything starts all over again. Can't see anything but black and logo. Please help.
Ok everyone I had the same problem and I finally just decided to recover all my data and install a new clean OS which I probably have to install Windows XP now!!!!

Anyways if you wanna recover all your data and install windows clean just hit me up I might be able to help
you out!!!
Email Id removed for security
I just got a custom built comp with vista, same problem I have done system restore twice now and am very peed off, seems this is a very common problem with updates from microsoft which are causing the problem as the updates do not go in correctly, it,s going back to the shop as I've had it with it
notadellguy > Bod
Mar 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM
OK FIRST OFF if u didn't build it yourself and u got it from a shop ITS NOT CUSTOM BUILT! so the problem could still be hardware and no necessarily the update. second, if ur sending it back to the "shop" its because your too lazy to try and maybe understand how the whole computer thing that u like to use even works. its all about problem solving and troubleshooting. you have the resources to figure it out but its easier to bitch and say a company sucks than to admit hypocrisy.
after upodating is completed my computer doesnt start. I tried everything, restoring system, safe mode and last good config choice I ust cant get into the window anymore I realy regret updating my computer
After I re-installed Vista, everything on my computer was wiped out? Or did I see something while booting from Vista media that my old files were saved?
the better way is reformat your computer !
Please remove the system from your computer .You can reinstall a new system on your computer ,it's the better way to solve this problem .

Do not save any file you need to back up in your driver C:
can be bothered reading all this, but just:

boot off a vista DVD and restore the recovery point it made before the update, reboot and enjoy
I had the same problem (windows kept going to "configuring updates 3 of 3" screen and shutting down)..
I called Microsoft and they had me do something in the command prompt, Registry Editor, and I deleted some keys. It worked after that! I didnt have to reinstall windows and none of my information was deleted! You guys can try that out.
so we boot to safe mode with command prompts (or whatever that choice is) then what?

thnks
j
Oh, and no files were damaged or lost (at least that I've found so far)
If you have a Best Buy nearby, try taking it to Geek Squad. They fixed mine in like 2 and a half hours when I had the same problem.