Trouble with wireless router connection

Solved/Closed
dar - Nov 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 13, 2008 at 03:17 PM
Hello,
I have a dell comp running windows xp with a lynksys router that is hard wired thru cable modem, i have a dell comp with vista in my kitchen that was working with the router via a netgear wireless g usb adapter. all was well in wireless land until I recevied a windows update a few weeks ago. The computer running wirelessly was really slow and would not connect to some websites. After lengthy conversation w/Dell support it was determined that my vista comp had to be reset to factory settings. Now I have no internet on Vista comp. Called linksys, reset router, upgraded the netgear adapter and still no internet. I have a green comp screen in toolbar on lower right and ! point in yellow triangle over my wirelss network icon. right click on it and it says connected with limited access. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 13, 2008 at 03:17 PM
This is a common problem with Vista with no fix from Microsoft. You might try these options:
In the start/search window type "netsh winsock reset" or "ipconfig /renew"

What the message is telling you is you didn't get a valid IP from the router/dhcp server.

The encryption level may also be an issue with this, WEP128 causes it lots, better to use WPA-TKIP if your adapters all support that. For a quick check, log in to the router, disable security and see if you connect. (If you do you want to re-enable security and try a different level!)

The other issue that seems to cause this on some machines is IPv6. You can turn off IPv6 from the network center, just click the adapter, click properties, and uncheck IPv6 from the list that shows. IPv6 isn't used for internet at all at this time and really isn't needed. It appears to be causing many issues with routers and systems that don't support it, so turning it off is not a bad thing and won't hurt. You can always turn it back on.

Setting a static IP on your system may also work. You can do that also from the properties section of your adapter. The only downside to that is that if you go connect to another system, you will have to change back to automatic. (Not hard, its just a check box)