I'm running Vista Home Premium on my PC. I tried to install a game (Bioshock) and at the very beginning of the setup, my computer blue-screened...
When I restarted my computer, a number of programs that I have set to run at startup crashed (including Skype, MSN Messenger, iTunes, Bitcomet, and even Windows Media Player)!
I tried to install the game again, and the same blue screen appeared. After another restart, all programs crashed again...
Also when I'm trying to start them manually, I got the following message: "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed".
I found an article on Microsoft support: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346.
Went through method 1. This did not solve the problem. However, when I tried to install Bioshock, I only got an error message (the setup never got started like before, but on the plus side I did not get another blue-screen).
Next I tried method 2, but when I completed point 3, cmd only said "file not found - dllcache".
Following advice given on an other forum I went to Add/remove programs to see if windows installer was actually there. And, guess what... It was not. So I downloaded Windows Installer, but when I tried to install it, I got the following error: "Not enough storage is available to process this command." I have about 200 GB of free space on my hard disk and 2 GB of RAM, so that seemed pretty strange to me.
Lastly, I downloaded windows installer cleanup, but when trying to install it, I got the same old error message "Windows installer could not be accessed."
I would really appreciate any help as this problem is driving me crazy.
Check your C:\Windows\System32 folder for msiexec. You should have msiexec.exe, but if you also have msiexec with NO extension (and 0 Kb in size) then this is causing your problem. I did what the article suggested and added the extension .old, allowing me to start my Windows Installer service.
Just an additional note to JENJEN's reply (and relating back to my previous reply). You will not be able to start the Windows Installer service if "msiexec" exists twice in your C:\Windows\System32 folder (one with .exe extension and one with no extension). Be sure it only exists as "msiexec.exe".
Supposedly, Windows XP already comes with 2.0 and should not need the installer engine added; however, I have a
Windows XP Media Center and this was initially true. I had no problems with the installer. Then several weeks ago, I began getting the referenced message infrequently, and then all the time. I went thru the update steps and was told I had the current update for the installer, yet the problem continues. Please help!!!!!!
This is so annoying I've basically tried everything above and this still wont let me add/remove programmes, still getting the annoying error message. Im also having problems with Internet Explorer which I am relatiing it to. Is there anyone like me still trying?
hi, I finally got it solved, I tried every way you guys told me,but no luck, :S
im going to post everything I did(at least what I remember,i tried so many things):
first I tried one by one of the solutions posted here, and many thanks to those ppl who posted :)
then,the solutions posted here gave me some ideas and I went to look at event viewer,tried a few things in services,and I realized that whenever I tried to install something this error ocurred in event viewer: "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005" and I realized that something in the registry was denying me permissions of some kind
Hey, thanks for the reply, I had to recover my computer....afterwards my first try to download Itunes8 worked perfect....I should have done it before the 8 hours of 'trying it myself'....and of course the whole computer runs smoother due to being recovered....thanks and happy new year
finally Itunes8 installed but I had to recovery the entire computer. My son, and a couple friends have Vista and NEVER evncountered any issues with VISTA and Itunes (causing the 'windows Installer Service....error)...After being guided by HP, my computer had corrupted files, don't know how or which files, so recovery was emminent. Immediately after a Recovery was done, Itunes was downloaded instantly without issues....and no more 'windows installer service error'....Oh and as usual I forgot to copy some precious files to the external hard-drive, but the computer runs great! Happy New Years to you all!! Chris
Hi, I had devoted a lot of time to this issue.
Nothing worked that was on this site, but one thing worked.
I noticed that y DCOM Server Process Launcher service does not start. Even manually starting it produces error. Seems like it was a culprit of "THE PROBLEM" :).
Anyway, since I was lazy and tired to search how to fix it, just installed XP SP3 and problem gone.