Windows Vista to XP Downgrading/Reformat?

Solved/Closed
bob666 - Jan 9, 2008 at 12:35 PM
 tabu - May 26, 2011 at 01:25 AM
Hello,
I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista preinstalled but I don't want Vista at all. There is no data on the laptop as it is brand new. I would like Windows XP but couldn't find a new laptop with XP on it... so I got a Windows XP Home Edition disc and bring it to PC world so they can downgrade it for me. But I have been told it can't be done. Are they lying? What can I do?
Related:

107 responses

crazy_phoebe Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday February 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2009 2
May 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM
hey I tried out the link , but it aint working !! have ya got another one ?
It isn't impossible to downgrade, I've seen it done. The only problem's that occur are the compatibility issues between XP and your "Built for Vista" hardware... mostly just the BIOS. Like I said, it can be done. You could always bring it into a tech support center, like the one I work at. Staples Easy Tech offers operating system installations. The first downgrade we did took a couple weeks, but it's just a matter of finding all of the drivers. With a tech support service, you don't have to hassle with the troubles of finding them on your own, and the support center is responsible for making it 100% compatible with your computer.
The problem with my friend's laptop HP DV2700 was not resolved as HPLaptop NOT ACPI compliant and it is designed for VISTA only. So he feels regret of choosing HP Laptop and totally dislike HP product anymore. Why HP have designed this kind of Laptop to an experimental operating system VISTA? We the consumer are sacrificed.
where can I get drivers for xp for my acer aspire 5710, to downgrade from vista to xp pro.
any help will be appreciated. thanks very much

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
yaar!
this is very easy process vista to xp I have done this before 2 days after facig some problem...but finally I got XP installled my laptop now it is working properly.....
first I did partion of my c drive with name F drive
after this I put the cd for xp into cd / dvd drive
and follow the instruction......finally u got yr laptop with 2 OS vista or Xp...

but before doing all of those these thing u have to unable to SATA native driver by entering BIOS.

if anybody face any problem then he can ask me through mail
Hi, this is rahul
I got a compaq pressario v3000 with vista but I want to have xp in it.Again facing the problems of drivers but before that the main problem is it does not accept xp cd at all.don't know why but can you plz help me out I will be very thankful to you.
waiting for a quick answer.
Hi I've been having trouble installing XP on my gateway laptop. Gateway won't allow me to delete the partition and says it only accepts GPS disk (guess gateway partition system). Now I've been into my bios but I have not been able to find where I can turn off native sata. I'm pretty sure if I can find that I can install XP. I honestly have already grown tired of Vista asking me am I sure I want to install this program or are you sure you want to download this file. So if you can give me tips to install xp on a gatewayML6732 laptop it'd be much appreciated. Thanks
hokay, so I have reformatted my Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario SR5110NX, which was running vista, put on XP and am now looking for drivers. the internet has only come up with vista only ones which is not really surprising. what I am wondering is if there are any drivers that are xp compatible for my system. my laptop is ever so slowly dieing, and I need to switch soon. any help would be greatly appreciated.
ye its not easy to load xp in dv2701tu because some bios dosent have sata option to desable it. But you can install Xp easly by editing your xp setup with the help of 'n-lite'. Just edit xp setup and add driver for sata native so that your setup can detect harddisk on your laptop. But real problem is that, Hp site does not contains driver for Xp so you will not be able to install sound driver on this laptop.
hi

I bought a new laptop hp dv6500 with Windows Vista preinstalled but I don't want Vista at all. There is no data on the laptop as it is brand new. I want to install xp on it ,but it is giving error as harddisk not found after booting from win xp CD.it is working fine through preinstalled windows vista.please help me how to downgrade from win vista to win xp.

Thanks & Regards ,

Govind.
Dear,

All,

I also facing that kinds of problem to drowngrade window vista to window xp. I have tried by booting XP CD but I can't find third device to boot windown XP. Thus, May I known pls if you have futher informations to use the best way step by step. I would wish to get the way to easy install window XP.

I am very thankful,

Mr Than
basic info about my system:

model name satellite A205
OS version microsoft windows vista home premium 6.0.6000
CPU intel pentium dual T2300 @1.60 GHz
physical memory 1024MB RAM

need help VISTA is killing me
Hi bob666

actually I have also the same problem u can install xp on it but u have to buy a usb fdd drive ,

after that search sata driver on the net..copy that file into the fdd drive..

attach it into the usb port ...

start the lapy press f10 key for bios setup in which boot option will be there select cd rom first to provide the first priority.than insert ur xp cd in ur cd drive ...

than setup will execute

->one option will come at the starting of setup that is third party installation press f6 key for that ...that will help u to install sata driver during the installation..

->if any error comes like green screen with some msg..read it ..it may be abt the acpi ..

------------

if error will come proceed above steps but this time after pressing f6 key immidiately press f7 key for disabling the acpi...
it willl work.....
I was using Vista for a few months as I had bought a laptop with vista pre-installed. Now I have installed XP over it as I think Vista is a terrible OS. I have managed most of the setups and drivers for XP, but can anyone tell me how can I import the Mails from Microsoft Maiil ( Vista) to Outlook Express ( XP).
I hope there is a way
i need to install win xp in my new laptop dv 2701tx.can n e one plz help me tp get drivers?
ok I got no prob finding drivers. my problem is that when I try to install xp it says I have no harddrive. I do though. went to disable sata but wouldnt let me. didnt even show up
I installed XP in my new Acer travelmate and everything works fine. But I lost Vista, I actually installed XP on another partion. But I cannot get an OS selectable menu. It directly loads XP.
Well, as the discussion continues, I have some pointers.

- Its not a laymans job to downgrade or install windows xp on a machine which is running vista
- You need to plan before you can do much
- I personally like vista, but I hate too. Microsoft has done a lot of damage to the users. Mostly I am unable use/install the software I like.
- The first thing you need to do is to look for your hardware drivers. For laptop users, search the vendor sites. Mostly of them have driver sets for windows XP. Be careful.
- I have not tried it yet. Same problem, I have bought a vista home toshiba machine last year. But now I am planning to get rid of vista.
- I am taking following steps:
1. Buy windows xp retail
2. Buy a new hard drive
3. Download drivers from toshiba (vendor) site
4. Replace the old harddrive with the new one
5. install window xp

I think this should work. I will be doing this by next week. Will all you posted.

Cheers
hello...i need the xp drivers for hp pavilion dv6500!!!!!!anyone??
hi
I have brougth new labtop with windows vista but I want windows xp install
i m buy a laptpo hp pavilion dv2000 from italy and all system language ware italyan, I want change languagr on english
please help me ( I have no any driver cd)

bipon
Dear experts,

I would like to get rid of my VISTA and replace it by XP, but I also have
Linux (SUSE 10.3) on my machine. How can it be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Abouzar