Text lost when saving with Pages '08

Closed
Hal - Jul 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 20, 2010 at 04:43 AM
Hello,

I have an old work-horse, a G4 466 (384 MB of RAM), and my OS is 10.4.11. I am a writer, working on a novel, and using Pages '08 (v. 3.0.3). I have a ZIP drive installed, and my novel is in a file in a folder on a 100 MB Zip-disc. So when I sit down to work, I insert the disc, access the file containing my novel, write for however long, then save, and remove the Zip-disc. I save a backup copy to another Zip-disc. About ten days ago, after a few hours of writing, I went to save my work (unfortunately, I haven't been in the habit of "save-as-you-go"), and the Save status-bar froze about half-way along, with a message that there wasn't enough free space on the disc to save what I had written that evening (yes, the disc was almost full, but I was certain I still had sufficient space to save that session's output). Then, the message and the status-bar suddenly disappeared, and there was my text on the screen, seemingly all saved and intact. So I closed it, made a copy, removed the disc, inserted my back-up disc, saved my copy to it, before calling it a day. However, the next evening, when I opened the file, it was at Page 1, and then started loading each page individually (which it never did before), right up to Page 100, where it stopped (I had had just under 300 pages of text when I had closed the previous evening). Also, the last several lines were complete gibberish (eg. yleho ve tf:st:p>"> Oh my... god. This is so... I can't believe you're as="SFWp>#x2re sf/> e" stylle=" ereSyouing:styfavorJsf:style do421...). My back-up copy was similarly corrupted. Using Spotlight. I have tried to find the missing 200 pages of text, on both my hard-drive and on the Zip discs, but without success. Is my work irretrievably lost, or is it nestled somewhere (possibly compressed) where it can be accessed? Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jul 20, 2010 at 04:43 AM
Dear Hal,

Please indicate whether you had saved any copy of the file on your hard disk for appropriate help.

Thanks.