Excel (Mac) opens docs when started

Closed
CM - Jul 20, 2010 at 01:23 PM
 miz_mdk - Nov 24, 2011 at 02:53 PM
Hello,
Recently my Excel (Office 07 for Mac) program tries to open ALL the documents in a particular file whenever I start it up. It choses to open non-Excel documents in the file with a message that they are not compatible with Excel. These documents were correctly closed before closing down Excel on last use. It also opens about seven of the last Excel documents I last had open, although they were closed out after the last use. Very annoying. Any solutions you have would be appreciated.
Thanks

Related:

2 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jul 20, 2010 at 01:29 PM
Not sure about MAC, but in excel there is option that you can check that will open all the documents in a particular folder. Check your excel options.
I have done exactly that - specified a specific folder - unfortunately, Excel opens all the subfolders too, and does exactly what CM above mentions - it opens all manner of files (such as PDFs).

How can I get to preferences to delete this path to this folder, when Excel insists on opening all these files (then crashing) before I can select any options from within Excel itself?

Any ideas of how to by-pass the folder-opening stage without 'forcing quit'?
I just experienced the same problem - started Excel with shiftkey and than edited Preferences - General and empty the "At startup..."-line.
That worked fine for me.
Yay! This worked for me! Thank you.
Hi Guys, I found this link to a different though similar issue with Excel going off on a tangent and doing its own thing when started up.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/mso_mac#addcomment

CyberTaz suggested launching Excel while holding the shift key down!
Wow, what genius. This worked for me: Excel opened in its default state, and I was able to go into Preferences in Excel, and change my path for what folder it needed to choose when starting up. I created a specific subfolder that contains the file that I need it to open...

Thought you might like that tip about holding down SHIFT when opening an application. That was news to me!
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Aug 2, 2010 at 09:06 AM
Appreciate you sharing your finding with others. Not many have that much of courtesy. So thank you for that.
Anonymous User
Aug 2, 2010 at 09:18 AM
Your welcome! I was sooo pleased that there was a simple fix, and needed to let you know, lest you were still stranded.
All the best!