CAN'T BROWSE THE INTERNET

Closed
Jamanten - Dec 13, 2008 at 05:54 AM
dawooddoe Posts 404 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 12, 2010 - Sep 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Hello,

Two weeks ago my family acquired a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running on Vista Home Premium. A couple of days ago, I used it to browse the net wirelessly at my brother-in-law's home. It was able to connect to his wireless network perfectly via a Netgear router.

Today we bought a Linksys WRT310N router. I installed the router on our desktop. It is now plugged in our old broadband modem. Both gadgets work compatibly. Our desktop can do its usual PC chores including internet-related functions

Our Dell Inspiron 1525 connects to a wireless network or with an ethernet cable via our newly installed router. However, the laptop cannot view the internet. I use Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as our browsers. All I get from them is "Address not found" or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," respectively.

A Linksys technician has already helped me (over the phone) go through a long and tedious process of configuring and re-configuring the router... to no avail. She said the problem must be already in what's contained in the laptop.

Could it be the OS or the laptop itself? What should I do? Need help.

Jamanten
Related:

3 responses

OSELOVE Posts 1 Registration date Sunday May 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 1, 2009 2
Jun 1, 2009 at 02:49 AM
i want a software that will assist me to browse the net free
if u are able to ping:

1. might need to remove the proxy settings

IE> tools > ie options > connections tab > LAN settings and uncheck everything, OK, close ie options, relaunch the browser

Firefox > tools > options > advanced > network tab > settings > no proxy, Ok, exit options, relaunch the browser

2. Check TCP/IP settings: click on wireless network connections > properties > click on Internet Protocol to highlight it > properties button > obtain IP and DNS server automatically, OK.

3. might need to check the firewall out. Norton trials and ZoneAlarm seem to block internet access in the browser

might can add IE or Firefox to the exceptions list in Windows Firewall if thats what you are using

4. do a win sock repair and restart

what else.....give the laptop to me :)
those are all "OR" type things if the others dont work BTW
wld try dem all!
dawooddoe Posts 404 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 12, 2010 109
Sep 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Once your laptop is connected to network, type following command in command prompt(cmd.exe) to make sure it displays correct IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS info. You should be able to ping the gateway IP too if it's connected properly. If not, your laptop is not connected correctly.

ipconfig /all

If you need more helps, could use this ping tool to troubleshoot the problem and also take a look on this wireless network troubleshooting tips article.

Hope this helps.