How to open a PRN file in Office/Word 2010

Solved/Closed
-
 Aduka -
Hello,

How do you open a PRN file to see how it converted? I only want to open the document to see how it converted, not print it. I used Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2003 and would create a PRN file by PRINT TO FILE/GENERIC-TEXT ONLY Printer. Then I would open the document in Word 2003 and could see how the document converted. I bought a new computer with Windows 7x64 bit and Microsoft Office 2010 and now when I follow the same steps to create a PRN file I cannot open the document in Word 2010 to see the converted document. Please provided step-by-step instructions if there are any suggestions/solutions.

1 reply

Dear Janice,

Please right click on it and Open With a notepad for accessing to it.

Thanks in advance.
When I click on Wordpad or Notepad and the document opens, the page is blank - nothing is there.

that does not work for a PRN file..... sorry
It depends on the file. prn is a generic extension for files created for a printer, and different printer drivers will do it differently. Most people that still have any interest in this are probably looking at the sort of .prn file generated by a generic text printer, which is almost considered a relic deep within the Windows 0S nowadays. If you have used the generic text printer driver that is part of Windows, you can access it with any text editor including notepad. It's mostly an old-fashioned ASCII file, best I can figure out. And if that doesn't work, you need to use the printer driver that was used to create the file to begin with. If you have the same printer, you can print it.
just rename your prn file from .prn extention to .doc it will get converted to word file then you can open it in word..simple..
just RENAME the file from .prn to .xps