Laptop freeze after entering password

Closed
spitz6860 - Aug 25, 2010 at 04:43 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 25, 2010 at 05:29 PM
i have a gateway P-6860FX laptop and vista 64bit OS. this started yesterday when i was playing Civlization 4 on my laptop. all of a sudden the screen turned lime green and the computer completely locks up since whatever sound it was playing started looping. so i restarted it and every time the screen shuts off and turns to a random color in the welcome screen after entering password or a few seconds after my desktop loads.

so i went into the safe mode and everything seems fine. i disabled all the services and start up items in msconfig and restarted it in normal mode and it works. but the screen still turns to some random color and or shuts off whenever i watch some video or start a game.

i also disabled & updated the video driver but it doesn't do anything.

i can't even figure out whether if it's a software or hardware problem.

any help would be appreciated.
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:02 PM
Hello Spitz,

It is very possible that your video card cannot support the games you wish to play. Believe me, it makes a world of difference. Is it possible to verify the video card requirements for the game against the card in your computer?

Regards
i have been playing games on that laptop for over 2 years now, never had a problem, it has GF 8800M GTS which is considered a high end card.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:10 PM
Of course you have been playing games! Are you playing new games ?
yes, strangely enough it all happened during a civilization 4 session, which isn't even a hardware demanding game, i have been playing games with way more demanding system requirements with no problem.
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:18 PM
Sorry Spitz, I read your original message a bit to fast and missed some important info.

It is obvious to me that is not the caliber of your video card that is at stake.

There are two possible sources to the problem:

1. Your laptop may be overheating thus affecting your card

2. Your video card may have got damaged from the overheathing.

Please, remove the card, clean it, look for damages and replace it if needed.

Regards
yeah, that's what i'm afraid off, since it happens when i 'm not running any graphic demanding softwares i don't see overheating is the problem. looks like i'll need to replace the graphics chip somehow, but it's soldered on to the motherboard so i guess i'll have to send it back for repairs.
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:29 PM
Yeah, I am afraid so also because you have done everything to solve file issues. What about trying to clean it with the same product which is used to clean electronic connections, come in a spray can. You never know.

Good luck