Start-up problem

Closed
Kisconfused - Dec 17, 2008 at 06:59 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 17, 2008 at 07:15 PM
Hi...

Today, I had left my computer unattended for about an hour. I had Opera running, and when I had came back, I click on the tab for it on the task bar but the computer froze when I pressed it. So, I pressed on my power button to restart the computer..

When it came on it loaded up until the task bar and the icons on my desktop. However, when I bring the mouse to the taskbar, my mouse turns into the hourglass symbol preventing me from pressing anything on the task bar. Along with this, the system tray icons are not loading. I figured I would try to click on one of the icons on the desktop but when I do this, the mouse turns into an hourglass symbol and nothing happens..

Nothing else loads up but the task bar and the icons, and usually my system tray icons are the next to load but my computer never gets to that point. I'm not really sure what the issue is or how it can be fixed so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and how to resolve this issue.

Currently, I am using the computer in safe mode which seems to be working.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 17, 2008 at 07:03 PM
Sounds like you have a virus. Try to run your anti-virus software in safe mode.
I use Avast Anti-Virus, and I have previously found viruses on my computer within the last week. It has always suggested them to move viruses found to "the chest" so that's what I've done.. do you think this may have something to do with it?

I'll run it on safe mode now.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 17, 2008 at 07:15 PM
If the antivirus scan doesn't fix your problem and you are running Windows XP you could try other malware removal tools or even a Windows Repair/reinstall - check out this site

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm