Cant boot from cd after changing bios priorit

Closed
mediamavin Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 18, 2008 - Dec 18, 2008 at 04:49 PM
 olaf - Nov 7, 2009 at 05:30 PM
Hello,
i would appriciate some help/advice.

I have a dell dimension. some years ago i installed a sony cd r/w drive and disconnected the cd r drive.
i now need to boot from my windows xp cd to repair the operating system.

i have changed the bios so that the boot sequence is --cd, hard drive and then floppy. and then saved the changes.
however my pc does not boot from the xp cd. are there any other settings that require changing?
the cd drive functions properly otherwise,

any thoughts on how to fix this without opening the box?

thanks in advance.
Related:

3 responses

OK.

One. DO this check and see if your CD (Operating System Installation CD is Boot-able).
Two. See whether you CD-Drive or DVD-Drive is functioning correctly.

If not, try this though a best answer, i consider it dangerous.

Remove your Hard Disk Drive from the machine. (I've tried this with a Laptop). Insert the Boot-able CD.
Boot your machine and this is what is going to happen, Since your BIOS is either set to Boot from Hard Disk First (This works nicely if you've forgotten the BIOS Password). Bios will check if the Hard Disk is Present and if not it will go to the next Boot device, In this case it was my CD-ROM (so i advice you to change the boot sequence).

If your machine accept to boot from the Installation CD, before it even starts inspecting your hardware configuration (If you are using windows XP) , quickly insert your hard disk drive. It will load the required files to your memory and the restart your machine. Then it will show your hard-disk and ask you if you wanna create a partition or delete the partition, or prompt you to repair if you are using the Installation CD that you used previously.Then you are set, proceed with the installation.

I've tried it and it worked well on my laptop. I risked and it worked but i don't guarantee you that it will work. Just try it out.

Mwanasoft® Solutions
I had a similar problem with my Dell Dimension 2400. I replaced the OEM DVD-ROM drive with a DVD-RW burner. I had the replacement DVD burner jumpered as MASTER and it failed to boot when a CD was present. Then, I noticed that the OEM DVD-ROM was jumpered as CABLE SELECT. When I changed the jumper setting on the replacement DVD burner to CABLE SELECT, I was able to boot from some Linux install CDs; BUT not the Win XP Home CD. BTW, I also upgraded the BIOS to version A05. I'll look for an older version of the BIOS, see if this "helps". In addition, I maxed out the RAM to 2 GB, which hopefully does not do any harm.
Hi,

I found out that it won't start from CD when you have your CD-drive installed as secondary, so place your CD-drive on the same cable as your harddrive and set the jumpers to slave on the CD drive. Now you can boot from your CD when pressing F12 during startup.