JavaScript error with Facebook, Chrome, & IE

Solved/Closed
S. Taylor Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday September 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 4, 2010 - Sep 29, 2010 at 02:40 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 4, 2010 at 04:59 AM
Hello,

I have this problem with Windows 7 OS - Google Chrome and IE browsers both not letting me set up a new account on Facebook via www.ctunnel.com

I have spent countless waking hours between work and sleep researching this issue. Here is the list of "advice" that I have uncovered.
HERE'S WHAT HELPED OTHERS - but not me.

1) Making sure JavaScript is allowed to run in Google Chrome:
From any webpage in Google Chrome - Click (the wrench in the top right corner) - Options - Underthehood - Content settings - JavaScript settings, make sure it is set to "Allow all sites to run JavaScript - recommended"

2) Test if a Firewall is blocking the JavaScript (if it is already enabled)
Go to Start - Control Panel - Windows Firewall (in the left side column: click "Turn Windows Firewall on or off" - change both Home and Public network settings to "Turn Off Firewall". - then click OK to make the change. Close browser. Open it again and try whatever you were doing. If it still doesn't work - go back and Turn On Firewalls again in both networks, click OK to save changes.

3) Update the latest Adobe Flashplayer
4) Turn off pop-up blockers (for the specific web page)

5) Allow Inbound or Outbound content for specified web page,
Go to Control Panel - Windows Firewall - Advanced Settings - under Getting started (middle to bottom of box) "View and create firewall rules"

6) Test if Javascript runs on your computer by using a different browser such as: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, O and more
7) See if it works from another computer (whatever is not working)
8) Make sure you have all recent updates for your OS.

9) Go to Google base: type question - get an answer for all browsers other than Google Chrome - leave a comment to point that out to them and say, "Thanks for nothing."

10) Hold down: Control-Shift-J (shows the scripts running on your page) Learn to read Javascript and become a wizard.

Bibbidy-Bobbidy-Boo!! dAng! My wand must be broken ~ I still have this issue.

IF ANYONE IS PROFICIENT WITH: Windows 7 - and JavaScript (not Java, that's different) PLEASE HELP ME and the thousands of others out there with the same issue. You would be a hero to us all.

3 responses

S. Taylor Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday September 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 4, 2010 1
Oct 3, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Okay, the answer to MY problem was that I was trying to access Facebook through a free VPN. Because VPN servers are encrypted to allow users to view restricted content, sometimes Javascripts are not read properly.

Therefore, trying to access Facebook, Myspace, and Youtube from China (where such websites are blocked) and by trying to to view them through a free VPN server (which pretends I am trying to view from another country); the JavaScripts of such websites get tangled.

So I am able to view some Youtube videos, but I am not able to sign-in or start a new account in Facebook through a free VPN.

Fundamentally, my issue was not related to any of the suggestions above.
However, I hope my experience and research helped others, and that this new discovery helps others as well.

Best of luck to you all!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 4, 2010 at 04:59 AM
Thank you S

Nice work!

You come back now!