Programs are gone

Solved/Closed
Karen - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM
 Karen - Dec 22, 2010 at 09:01 AM
Hello,
I reinstalled Vista on mt Dell XPS and all my programs and files are gone, but still apparently taking up all the memory. I am desperate to get them back and tried following the suggestions in FAQ 5347 to no avail. (step4 did not exist on my pc) I also did not have step 8-There was no document and settings. I am wondering if somehow there is a hidden account now that has access to all these programs? Please help. Thank you in advance.

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Dec 20, 2010 at 05:12 PM
Greetings Karen,

When you say reinstall, please tell me how you proceeded.

Regards
Good morning,
Thank you for your response. I put the disc for the vista 34 back in my pc. I thought it would just repair what (if anything) was broken as I had been getting errors lately regarding setup.exe. and was not able to run some programs I normally was able to run so thought that if I put the vista disc that came with my pc back in it would fix the recent errors. I never deleted or backed up my files etc, just put the disc in. Hope this helps and thank you again!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Dec 21, 2010 at 05:43 PM
Dear Karen,

Oh boy! I am terribly sorry. You see, there are two methods to restore a system, the non destructive restore where there is no data lost, which is done by going back to a previous date.

The there is the method which you applied which is destructive as it restores your system as it came out of the factory.

I have a tear... all you programmes must be reinstalled.

Sorry...
Thank you for your response. It actually made me smile-lol. I can deal with the fact I have to reinstall evrything, I just thought it was odd that all the programs I had previously were still showing as taking up space on my drive (over 1GB). I thought that if they were still taking up space, I might have had a shot at getting them back. But thank you again for your help and the smile! Cheers!