SD camera format not recognized by laptop

Closed
Tom S - Dec 25, 2010 at 03:53 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Hello,

I formatted my PNY SD card in my Canon T2i Digital SLR camera. Now my laptop/pc won't recognize it. I had to return the SD card to the camera and connect a camera-to-laptop cable to get the pics downloaded to the laptop. Is it possible for the SD card to retain both the camera AND laptop formats, allowing me to download pics by moving the SD card directly to laptop?

Thanks,
Tom S
Related:

3 responses

I used the Canon camera to format the SD card. I'm wondering if I now need to reformat the card in the laptop? The problem is that the card is not recognized by the laptop or my desktop (card image is grayed out when I click on "My Computer" bubble).
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM
As a rule of thumb, look at the printed matter on the card....if it says Secure Digital your computer, no matter how old, will recognise it. If the card says SDHC....the HC being high capacity your older computer will not recognise it. Do not, , treat the card as damaged, there is nothing wrong with it. You can download software upgrades from the internet to make your computer recognise these SDHC cards.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 25, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Greetings Tom,

I don't have a Canon but an Olympus. Usually your PC should recognize it if you use the software that came from the camera and that is the only way I would think it's possible to download the pics to the PC. I can't think of any other way.

Regards