External drive does not show on desktop

Closed
Pinny - Jan 8, 2009 at 01:10 PM
 moijoejoe - Nov 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Hello,
I cannot get my HP external hard drive recognized on my desktop on in the removable drive. It works because it works on another laptop. When I open System Properties then System Restore I find two drives listed: C: and
Presario V6000, but no USB drive. I have found, however, the following drive under Disk Drives: WDC WD1200BEVS-60USTO which I'm thinking is the external drive. I hope someone can help with this issue. Thanks.
Related:

2 responses

the drive you found is your internal hard drive i have the same in my compaq your external will come up as a usb device mass storage or it will come up as a removable storage device
well for me it doesnt come up at all...like when i plug in my external...my comp makes that certain noise when it notices that i plug in something...but nothing comes up on my computer screen (not even on the removable storage/mass storage)

i checked the device manager and it says it there so idk what is wrong with it

ALSO...it works when i plug it in to another laptop....hope you can help me out
Morfoot Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday January 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 11, 2009 11
Jan 8, 2009 at 01:26 PM
How big is the external drive? The drive you found is a 120 GB drive.

If you right click on My Computer and select manage then double click storage then Disk Management you'll open the disk manager, this should show all drives connected to the computer, does it show up there?
miftikhar_92@yahoo.com
Jun 14, 2009 at 04:54 PM
Yes, When I click on the device manager it show the all devices (USB mass storage device) connected to the computer but doesn't show on the desktop.