Installing XP SP3 on Acer Aspire one 150

Solved/Closed
nickpendar Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 27, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2011 - Mar 27, 2011 at 05:01 PM
dleg6380 Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 5, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2012 - Nov 6, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Hello,
I had big problems with my OS on my tiny Acer Aspire one 150 and it seems at last I deleted "everything" from it. I tried to install XP SP3 OS on it using a USB CD-ROM but on the very beginning in setup, it says: "please insert a disk labeled Windows XP SP3 CD into drive A and press Enter when you are ready". I could do nothing but installing a Mandriva Linux on it for now. but how can I solve the problem with installing XP? Please help.

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Mar 27, 2011 at 05:42 PM
Hello,

As you rightly said, you have deleted the folders containing file systems. I advise you to boot from an original windows cd to reinstall Windows.

However you'll see your linux partition disappeared beacause once you install Windows after a linux installation, you will overwrite the grub which allow you to boot Mandriva. I suggest you partition your disk, install Windows first then Mandriva and therefore you will have the dual boot that will allow you to boot either Windows or Mandriva.

Good Luck

Regards
nickpendar Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 27, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 at 08:32 AM
Hi Bionik,
thanks a lot for your time. I think I have tried this but with a dvd containing a pack of different windows softwares. I will try a "windows cd" to see what happens. what if it gives me the same answer since these dvds I talked about had been working well except this time?
Anonymous User
Mar 28, 2011 at 08:47 AM
Hello,

You should have no problem if you boot from an original Windows CD. During installation, all files that had deleted will be copied back to disk.
nickpendar Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 27, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM
well I got this Sata Support version of windows XP SP3 and now after configuring my hardware and before going any further, it says: "INF file "txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt, status 2, setup cannot continue. press any key to exit". ?!!!
Anonymous User
Mar 28, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Got another XP setup disk? Try booting with that, even if it's a different version.

If you don't get another Windows XP disc, try creating new XP setup disks using this utility at Microsoft's website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=15491F07-99F7-4A2D-983D-81C2137FF464&displaylang=en

Good Luck
Mar 29, 2011 at 02:48 PM
Hi
I gave up! got some expert technicals to solve the problem. at last they came up with my CD-ROM being broken! so that was the problem! they just used another device and installed the OS with no head-ache. thank you very much for your time and advice. now if something like that happens I will know exactly what to do. I will save our discutions in a file ad use it in future. very pleasant to know you guys. thank you very much.