Code 10 error in sound drive [Solved/Closed]

kish - Jan 19, 2009 at 01:58 PM - Latest reply:  HopefulHelpAnon
- Jan 24, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Hello,
Hi,this is kish, I formated my c drive and while installing the drivers from cd no sound drives are shown even if I install them some how ther z a error ,the device may not work (code 10),i tried reinstalling,but still the same prob.(AMD athelon,gigabyte-7VM400M-RZ.
See more 

11 replies

Best answer
Thank you
hi,

i have no sound in my pc I have got reinstalled twice when I star it gives sound of starting some time but I can not listen any type of multimedia help me
xpcman 19106 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateContributorStatus July 19, 2018 Last seen - Jan 19, 2009 at 03:26 PM
Thank you
If you run into the error "This device cannot start. Code 10″ (often followed by a driver identifier, for example "This device cannot start. Code 10 in audio driver"), here is what it means.

The Windows error "This device cannot start. Code 10″ or "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" is a hardware error that most commonly means that you have a bad, missing, or incompatible device driver. So, for example, "This device cannot start. Code 10 in audio driver" means that you have a bad or missing or incompatible driver for your sound card.

The technical explanation for this message, according to Microsoft, is this:

"If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

What does that mean in plain English? It means that if the device which is throwing the error has added its own custom error text to your Windows system when the device was installed, then when the device encounters an error, you will see the custom error message specific to that device. But if it doesn't have its own custom error message, then Windows uses its own generic error message for devices, which is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Microsoft recommends that when this happens, you click "Update Driver" to update the drivers for the device. You can also start the Windows troubleshooting wizard by going to the general properties tab of the device, and clicking on "Troubleshoot".

Before doing this, be sure that you have the correct and most up-to-date versions of the driver(s) for that device. You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the device, using the disk which came with it.

Finally, you can go to the website of the device's manufacturer, and check their downloads or support section for current, up-to-date drivers.

here is a link to the motherboard drivers

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Gigabyte/Gigabyte-7VM400M-RZ-F5.shtml
HopefulHelpAnon - Jan 24, 2017 at 01:54 PM
I just want to post this because I tried everything to fix my sound driver to work but kept getting a code 10. Now I fixed this on my own and I knew everything I needed to do but I kept having problems, so I went to the internet to look but to no avail.

woe be me that I gave up for a week to think on the problem.

Now I have a solution. I'm only posting this to help those who might have the same problem as me.

Now as most people know when re-configuring your computer problems arise and you sometimes have to download something to fix it, but every once in a while just downloading something isn't the solution.

The BIOS might be the problem.

Now onto the fix, when restarting your computer hit the delete key (might be different for you it could be the F8 F9 or F12 key but generally it will tell you during startup at the bottom which key to hit)

Step 1: hit delete key (or the key specified)
Step 2: if the option is available use arrow keys to navigate to "load optimized settings"
Step 3: save and exit , Y and N will show up sometimes it shows up automatically selecting N and sometimes it shows up with Y selected, if you cant tell just hit the y key and then enter.
step 4: if the driver doesn't automatically download and install then manually do it.

If that doesn't work for you then you can try to look for sound and audio options and go through everything in them while selecting the auto option in everything that has the option, otherwise if you don't know what it does don't mess with it. If you screw up and select something that you shouldn't you can only blame yourself.

If even that doesn't work then either you didn't select the right options or that wasn't the problem.

A note for those that want to try this. IT IS A LAST OPTION. you should not do this if you haven't tried all other solutions.

Now I hope this helps someone since I couldn't find this anywhere else I decided to post it here.
Thank you
i have an answer go to c;/drive open windows folder open system32 and delete 3 line from bottom and again install
thank you
Thank you
hey
I'm sandeep I have a problem with my windows xp system. when in the morning at 10 am I open my
system it work properly to 3 pm , then after that it's shutdown itself, then again I start it, it's not start.
and same it work to another day 10 am to 3 pm. please short out my this problem
my system details is
Thank you
i works man thanks bro and my audio works fine
Thank you
i have the same problem and I dont now how to fix it

cuz on windows XP works all drivers perfect but jet I have windows 7 and the audio drivers dont work

if someone now send me on

-removed-
Thank you
many thanks to this thread, problem solved. rc
Thank you
How can I dowenload the GigaByte 7VM400M RZ Audio Driver.

Please send me link

Help me
i am in big trouble.

Regards

Sushil
Thank you
If the above methods do not work than figure out if its a hardware or software problem.. my Windows sound driver Realtek got a code 10 so I used a linux OS like Mint or Ubuntu to troubleshoot... booted it up into linux & still No Audio...

that told me it was hardware problem as linux has all its own drivers needed to function properly.. I took the laptop apart & reseated the audio card & cables... turned the latop on & the code 10 disappeared... Audio works fine now....

If the sound card is broke than just get a USB speaker... there cheap & it bypasses the soundcard....