Desktop icons, taskbar disappeared

Closed
luna - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM
 luna - Jun 8, 2011 at 04:29 AM
Hello, the desktop icons disappeared on my computer at work and i tried doing "ctrl +alt+del" to bring up the task manager but it says "task manager has been disabled by your administrator". the next thing i did, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micsrosoft\windows NT\CurrentVersion|Winlogon" i double clicked shell and changed "Explorer.exe to Explorer1.exe and clicked ok but when i restarted my computer, the taskbar was gone. please help.

Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Jun 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Hi,

Check for any related logs in event viewer.

I'd suggest you follow these steps and check.

Step 1:
Boot your computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Step 2:
If it does not, then most probably there is a third party software conflict that may be causing the issue to occur. I'd suggest you put your computer in a clean boot state and check. Clean boot eliminates third party software conflicts.

Note: Follow step 7 to boot your computer back to normal mode.

Step 3:
You may also consider running a virus scan using your security software or run an online scan using the below link to check if the issue is caused by a virus/ malware or a spyware.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Good Luck!
thank you for your reply. it's night time here at my side of the world and have to wait for tomorrow to be able to try your suggestion.:) there's one thing more that's bothering me. i changed "Explorer.exe to Explorer1.exe" by navigating straight to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and clicked the "shell"value. did it cause more harm to the computer? i can't sleep worrying about it. my office computer is running XP.