My screen goes black with a cursor arrow

Closed
Kim - Jun 10, 2011 at 02:18 PM
 Anonymous User - Jun 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Hello, I just bought a used laptop and was having issues with the tray app after trying to uninstall some stuff from the previous owner. So I tried to restore the system to the day I bought it and it turns on, but before it goes through windows stuff the sceeen turns black with a cursor. I just spend all my money for the laptop (a toshiba) so can't afford a repair bill or buy software for it. I don't know how to make it work again and really need help. I tried taking out the battery trick and it won't start in safe mode. Doing control alt delete does nothing on a blank screen. I appreciate any tips.

Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Jun 11, 2011 at 06:30 AM
Greetings,

Try this:

1) When you switch on your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

3) Click on Start --> Run --> Type regedt32 and press Enter.

[ If you are using Windows Vista or 7 then click on Start --> In search box, type

regedt32 and press Enter.]

Registry Editor will be opened. Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are having different data values then change it as mentioned

above.

Just double click shell and userinit and enter the data values as

shell --> "Value data" should be
Explorer.exe

userinit --> "Value data" should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note: there is "," at the end of userinit.exe

Then download "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" from the below link.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Update it and perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan"

Regards!
I really appreciate the tip but after step 2, the screen is all black with cursor. I'm still at a loss of what to do.
Anonymous User
Jun 11, 2011 at 09:32 AM
Tell me, can you hear the windows login sound?
Ok, when I turn it on it shows the Toshiba Phoenix screen, asks to start windows normally, then the microsoft corporation bar, followed by a black sceen with an arrow (that I can move) all the while no sound. Sometimes there is a thin strip of green on the left side of the screen going from the top to the bottom. A few times I've let it sit awhile hoping that maybe its loading something and after 10 or 15 minutes a screen saver appears. Ctrl alt del does nothing, taking out the battery and holding down the power button hasn't solved the problem. I was able to do what GM Madman said and tried the startup repair, the computer told me that a device was attached to the computer such as a camera or portable music player and to remove it and restart the computer only I never plugged anything into it accept the power cord which I had taken out only to keep seeing this message. So then I did a system restore and picked a day a few days ago when the computer was working good. It said to always restore the disc that has windows system files which the only option I have is(C:)(system), I have no idea if it is right. Then it tells me some discs on my computer were not included in this restore point. So after that is done I still have the same problem. I have no recovery disc for the recovery wizard. And since I just bought it used I have no external backup to do the windows complete PC restore. I think my next step is to try to reset full factory settings. Any other advice before I try it? Do you know if after I do that do I need to install windows? Because the laptop didn't come with any discs. Thank you for your time and help.
Anonymous User
Jun 11, 2011 at 04:34 PM
Ok I see, but let me know, by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del, did the Task Manager screen pop up?
No it does not come up.
GM Madman Posts 85 Registration date Friday June 10, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 28, 2012 2
Jun 10, 2011 at 02:25 PM
Hello Kim

Try following these steps

1)My successful attempt to adjust the size of System Restore file (changed it from 30GB to 1GB using CMD)

2) Yesterday, My version of Spyware Doctor was strangely not working. The active protection was disabled, as well as other features. Within 10 minutes, the laptop randomly shut down on me during the middle of my work and internet surfing. The screen went blank (LED lights still on, power still on) So eventually I held the power button till it completely shut off. It rebooted fine. I performed disk cleanup with CCleaner, and a defrag with WinOptimizer.

3) Today during my internet streaming, I received Trojan warnings on my Vipre antivirus. Then, it cut off, saying that my 'trial' expired,(strangely I have a full version). 2 minutes later, the laptop shut down, the same as it did the day before. However this time it could not reboot.

The screen loads the Toshiba splash screen, only offering you the options F2(for BIOS) and F12(for boot sequence). After this, the screen goes black with a cursor. Nothing is available to load.... you cannot access System Restore, Safe Mode(F8) or anything else [the screen for this does not load]

I have entered the BIOS.. the system recognizes all drives

I have tried using my Windows 7 CD to perform a boot, however, even if I change the primary boot device to CD...the same screen comes up, saying
"CD-ROM Boot Priority.... Boot Ready"

You can't click anything... all you can do is press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart and face this torture again.

OR/AND

Microsoft provides a set of tools for diagnosing and repairing Windows, which is called the Windows Recovery Environment, also known as Windows RE. Toshiba provides Windows RE on all computers sold with Windows Vista. It is stored in a special partition, usually 1.46GB in size.

Follow these steps to access the Windows Recovery Environment:

1. Turn the computer on, and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

2. After several seconds, the Advanced Boot Options screen will appear.

3. Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer, then press the Enter key.

4. Accept or change the language and keyboard selections, then click Next.

5. Use the mouse and keyboard to select your Windows user name from the drop-down list, and enter your Windows password, then click OK.

6. The System Recovery Options menu will appear. It will include several Windows Recovery Environment options, typically including the following:

* Startup Repair
* System Restore
* Windows Complete PC Restore
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
* Command Prompt
* Toshiba Recovery Wizard

The Toshiba Recovery Wizard option is not part of the Windows Recovery Environment. Select it only if you wish to restore the computer's original factory software 'image' -- including Windows and applications. This procedure first erases all existing programs, documents, and other data on the hard disk drive.

Best Regards!
I appreciate the tip but when I try what you said I get to the part to enter a passord, I don't have one since I bought it used the other day I didn't get to set up passwords yet. Any other advice?
GM Madman Posts 85 Registration date Friday June 10, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 28, 2012 2
Jun 10, 2011 at 05:26 PM
I don't have any other advice