Blue Screen of Death

Closed
widereciver19 - Aug 12, 2011 at 04:59 PM
 widereciver19 - Aug 14, 2011 at 01:45 AM
Hello,

I can't get past the blue screen of death and I know virtually nothing about computers I really need some help this is killing me because i can't use my laptop. Every time i try to boot up my laptop it goes to the blue screen of death if anyone could help it would be appericated so much but it will need to be explained to me like I'm a five year old...

Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 12, 2011 at 05:49 PM
when the laptop blue screens, you will get an error message and an error code

for example

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x000000f4 (0x000000 0x000000...)

its the first part of the error code that i want, and the description.

let me know.

widereciver19
Aug 13, 2011 at 01:01 PM
this is what the whole thing says

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut own to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defragmentation, or back up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x86EF57A8,0xC0000102,0x00000000)
Blocked Profile
Aug 13, 2011 at 09:08 PM
I recommend running a check disk.

can you boot into windows?

keep pressing F8 during start up and use the advanced boot menu to select "Safe mode"

once in, go to start > run > type CMD and press ok

then in the black box type chkdsk C: /f /r then press enter

then press Y to schedule and restart the laptop and let it run.

if you cant, do you have a windows installation CD?
widereciver19
Aug 14, 2011 at 01:45 AM
Even when I try to get it to start in safe mode it goes to the blue screen
Anonymous User
Aug 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Hello,

This error indicates a problem with the file NTFS.sys. There may be a problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other causes include a heavily fragmented hard drive, or some problems with your antivirus program. The first thing I suggest you do is run Chkdsk. To do this, enter your BIOS and set your first boot device as CDROM.

1. Insert the Windows XP installation disc and reboot.

2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

3. When in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
If you only have one version of Windows, press the "1" key and press enter. Otherwise enter the number that relates to your main Windows installation. This will usually be C:\windows and will usually be "1", but if not enter the number that corresponds with your version.

4.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter the password or if you don't have one just press enter.

5. At the DOS prompt, type chkdsk /f and press return.
If there is still no improvement, repeat the steps above but instead of chkdsk /f, type sfc /scannow and press return. Let me know what happens, as if these don't work there are other things we can try.

Good Luck!