Can not recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive

Solved/Closed
bacelini - Sep 2, 2011 at 03:39 AM
 bacelini - Sep 8, 2011 at 09:01 AM
Hello,
I've tried to reinstall my laptop. And when I try to put win XP it says " Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer - supplied diagnostic or setup program... "

It's Sony Vaio PCG-8112 L. In BIOS-> Advanced there is only External Drive Boot and Network Boot... I've tried with Win XP and Win 7 Ultimate but nothing happend. I can not install any OS on my PC.. Please ppl help me.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 2, 2011 at 03:15 PM
Does the BIOS detect the hard disk? If the BIOS can't detect the disk then the problem is related to the disk. Broken disk, bad wiring or hardware error on the motherboard can cause this.

Windows XP does not have the required hardware drivers for the "advanced SATA" controller that you probably have and will not find the hard disk. Some BIOS will change the hardware interface to allow the IDE controller in XP to work. This should not be a problem with Win 7 since it has all the required drivers.

Good Luck
BIOS finds the HDD. When I try to install Win 7 and it goes to the last step there goes a error msg " Restart your PC and than the installation will procead ". And when I restart it the same msg shows over and over again. I don't know what to do.
Anonymous User
Sep 3, 2011 at 04:46 AM
Hi,

Here are steps on how you can install xp on pre installed win 7.
First.
On the Setup of your bios.
Choose the ATA instead of AHCI on the SATA configuration..
then now apply the changes. then insert your cd on the cd rom. make sure you have chosen the cd as your first boot device.

Read this FAQ for more informations:
https://ccm.net/faq/11459-downgrading-from-windows-7-to-xp

Good Luck!
Thanks 2 all :) I've got Install Win 7 to my computer ! Again thank you all :))