Toshiba laptop won't opperate

Closed
S.J.Carcar - Sep 6, 2011 at 02:05 PM
 S.J.Carcar - Sep 8, 2011 at 05:07 PM
Hello,
I have a 2004 toshiba satellite laptop (A55-S3062) that whenever I turn it on all I get is the background, my mouse, and a little box that says Runtime error '70'. I've done every option on the F8 thing but nothing works. When I try safe mode it shuts down. I cannot access anything on my computer, there's no start or anything at all except for my mouse. Can someone please help! Thanks.
Related:

5 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 7, 2011 at 05:52 PM
You might have malware that has installed itself in Windows startup. This error normally is related to internet access so I suspect the malware is trying to report back to the master computer its latest conquest.
I will move this post to the virus thread to see if anyone can help you.

You might need to reinstall Windows.

Good Luck
thanks for the help and info. Would you know how i would go about reinstalling Windows? Or any way to uninstall malware?

Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 8, 2011 at 05:40 AM
Hello S.J.

What is your operating system?

Do you get "runtime error 70' or "runtime error 70 access denied" ?

Before the message occured, have you installed any software?

When you get to the background, press alt+ctrl+del, this should open your task manager. Click new task, type explorer.exe and enter. Does that give you your desktop back ?

Let me know and we will go on to the next step.

Good luck
I got "run time error &0 permission denied"

revcieved this laptop from my uncle and I have no idea if he installed anything. The only thing I ever installed were some PC games for my younger siblings to play, nothing that connected to the internet however. I did the alt+ctrl+del but after i type in the explorer.exe it comes up for a split second then disappears before i can do anything. :/

Thanks for your help so far
It's a windows x ad. Intel celeron. Is that what you meant?
Anonymous User
Sep 8, 2011 at 08:24 AM
This may be a virus issue but you need to get your desktop back by launching explorer.exe to move to next step
can you tell be how to do that exactly? I know nothing about computers except what I found researching just recently so please explain, thank you
Anonymous User
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM
When you launch your task manager,go to process tab and see if you have explorer.exe already running
If explorer.exe is running,end the process ,go to File-New task and type again

explorer

If still you have the window only for a split second
Go to file and new task and type

C:

Let us know if this gets you to C drive
When I went to the windows task manager and then to the processes tab I couldn't find explorer.exe on there. All the CPU percents are at zero except for the system idle process which is at 99 and System which switches between 0 and 2

I tried going to the new task and typed C: but an error box opened as said "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Thanks
Anonymous User
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Let us know if you can launch this

msconfig

If you can launch it,in general tab-select selective startup-uncheck load startup items

Go to services tab-select ''hide microsoft services and click on ''disable all ''

Restart the PC,let us now if this works
i tried it but it did the exact same thing, it popped up for a fraction of a second then completely disappeared in me. :/
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 8, 2011 at 04:33 PM
Hi again,

When you get to the wallpaper, try this to determine whether the auto-hide option is not enabled for Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, follow these steps:

1.Press CRTL+ESC.

2.If the Start menu appears, right-click the Start menu, and then click Properties.

3.Click the Taskbar tab, clear the Auto-hide the taskbar check box, and then click OK.
ug, this is so frustrating. I did ctrl+esc but absolutely nothing came up or changed. Anything else I can try?
Thank

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Sep 8, 2011 at 04:54 PM
S.J.

Okay, no, there is nothing else you can try except to reinstall Windows. The Run Time error access denied indicates that the machine was previously part of a network and it still thinks that it is part of that network. Only the network manager can authorize access.

I assume that your uncle did give you the Window's CD.

Good luck
oh well, don't have the cd unfortunately. But I want to thank you for your help, I reallly, really appreciate it. Hope you have a great day, thanks