Resetting inspiron 15

Closed
char - Oct 5, 2011 at 08:42 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 7, 2011 at 05:21 AM
Hello, I have a inspiron 15 .. It was stolen and I got it back but the person who took it messed it up and now I can't get past the dell screen. I tried taking out the battery and then using a borrowed power cord.. they took the power cord and computer bag Ugh.. anyway.. the first time I tried it the next screen came up that there was an error and the "external keyboard needed to be reset" didn't know what to do then the dell screen came back up... It tired to get back to that screen again but could only get the dell screen.
I tried calling Dell but they want $240 to help me.. and not even gurantee they can help. I don't know want to do. but I want to get my computer back.. it is very sentimental to me. My mom bought it for me and I love it.. so if you can help I would apprieciate.
I just want to restore to the laptop so that I can reset the password.. Can anyone help me..
thanks

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Oct 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM
Greetings Char,

That kind of stuff only happens to those who have links with the navy.

I assumed that they stole your Windows XP disk ?

Let's try this:

*Power the computer on.

*When the Dell screen appears press and hold the CTRL and F11 key simultaneously on the keyboard, then release them both at the same time. The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.

(try even if the Dell screen does not appear, you can lose nothing for trying)

*Click the Restore button or press the key to highlight Restore and press the key.

A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.

*Click the Confirm button or press the key to highlight Confirm and press the key.

The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete. When the restore is complete, the message 'The system recovery process was successful' appears.

*Click the Finish button or press the key to highlight Finish and press the key.

I sure hope this works for you because I can't find any other solution other than try to boot from the Windows CD.

If you ever find the culprit who stole your machine, please feel to give a kick in the rear end for me, all the way from Canada. That should send him to the moon.

Good luck and God speed
where is the "restore" button? i go the "keyboard data line failure to resove this issue try to reseat the external keyboard" i copied the message as is from the screen.. yeah rest is spelled wrong.. what is the next step? now I can't get pass that keyboard data line screen.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Oct 7, 2011 at 05:21 AM
Dear Char if you did not see the restore, the damage is much more serious.

The message about the keyboard indicates that your machine went through some rough handling. Do you have the Windows CD? If you do, insert the first one and try to boot on it. If you don't, only a qualified technician can attend.

Sorry about that

Best regards