Reset PlayStation controller: on PC, without reset button
Sometimes pairing with other controllers becomes impossible or the controller simply stops working properly. There are certain situations in which you may need to reset your PlayStation controller. In this article we've listed a reset procedure that should solve all possible problems.
How to reset PlayStation controller?
The following methods should work for PS3, PS4 and PS5 controllers, as the process hasn't really changed since the PS3 model.
Situations where you might want to reset your controller:
- The controller is not working properly in games (but still allows you to navigate through the PlayStation menu).
- Secondary controllers can't be paired or are not detected
- Red squares are being displayed on the screen when pressing the PlayStation (middle) button of the controller.
How do you reset a PS3 controller:
- Turn off your PlayStation and disconnect the controller
- The reset button is located at the back of the controller. You will need a paper clip to press it.
- Connect the controller to your PlayStation 3 using the USB cable.
- Press the PS button of the controller to boot your PlayStation.
- Sync the controller with the PlayStation.
How to reset PlayStation controller on PC?
It looks like resetting a PlayStation controller via a PC doesn't work - you will have to use the reset button on the back - all you'll need is a paper clip or a sim card opener. Follow the steps from the previous section if you aren't sure how to proceed.
How to reset a PlayStation controller without the reset button?
You can't hard reset a controller without the reset button. However, you can plug the controller into the console, press the PS button, and then unplug it - this will restart the device.
- Reset ps3 controller
- Ps3 controller
- Playstation 3 controller
- Xbox 360 controller driver > Download - Drivers
- PS3 not reading discs: how to fix, after update > Guide
- How to reset windows 10 password without logging in > Guide
- Reset outlook > Guide
- How to update PS3: with USB, in safe mode > Guide