Boot Failure after windows XP update

Closed
ManBearSpider - Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06 PM
 frk_of_nature - Nov 17, 2009 at 09:21 PM
Hello,

After a recent windows update, my computer (a laptop, 3yrs old, acer 5100 series, running XP) would not restart properly, the farthest prompt it would get me too is the DOS safe mode prompt, and any option I select all it does is display a screen full of lines of system driver path names, then freezes completely. Sometimes I can see the windows loading screen but it freezes half way through, when I select start normally. It recognizes all the devices as shown in the BIOS menu. My computer is not capable of being booted from CD/USB either. With any OS on it (so it is not the hard disk). And this is the only behaviour it is capable of. I opened up the casing to see if any parts were loose, tried swaping the RAM. No Luck.

Any idea or suggestions short of buying a new computer, would be appreciated.

ManBearSpider
Related:

1 response

Experiencing same problems after security updates from Microsoft April 15th. Also have no success trying all SAFE MODE selections. Did have success with loading a utility CD and checked all hardware on computer and all test passed.

After several minutes and getting a Window Starting screen, waited another 8-10 minutes and received a sign-on Windows screen for several minutes and then it disapeared. Back to Safe Mode.
I'm having the same issue myself. It started a few days ago after the update at night, I was able to do 'last known good config' at that point and get out of it, but I forgot to turn off automatic updating, and got Microsoft's cumulative pack again, and now I can't use the 'last known' to get back to where it was working before.

I sure hope they have their ears on and put together some sort of bootable fix we can throw on a flash drive to fix our rigs. I can't work at this point, not that Microsoft care's about that.
Pattyuk > AsFarAsLarry
Apr 18, 2009 at 05:23 PM
I would also like to know how to cure my XP Home Edition as I'm having exactly the same problem after the Microsoft critical updates on the 15th April...I've tried everything to get my PC to start. It gets to the sorry about the problem... would you like to try Safe mode...Normal mode or try configuration when it was last working properly. I've tried all 3, and they all end up at start up screen where the bar is loading, from there it goes to blank black screen and stops doing anything. :)
frk_of_nature > Pattyuk
Nov 17, 2009 at 09:21 PM
i'm having the same issue with windows xp pro. I won't boot into safe mode or last known.. it keeps restarting