Monitor "Out of Range" Message

Solved/Closed
helphelphelp1006 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 25, 2011 Status Member Last seen October 25, 2011 - Oct 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 27, 2011 at 03:12 PM
Hello,
Please help,
I installed The Sims 2 but the resolution was too big, even if I changed it. So I went online to find out a way to sort it out. Many people were saying to go to the desktop, right-click, properties;settings and change the resolution from there. I did this, and I was a bit confused by the 2 squares representing 2 monitors (?) so I changed the resolution on both. There were also 2 options below(I can't remember what they said) I realised they were changing something but it wasn't apparent at the time. I tried to sort it out to go back to normal, and I thought I did it but then the monitor went blank/black. The computer didn't restart, but remained running. Then an "No Input Signal" message appeared, however this is normal. Then an "Out of Range" message appeared, however, recently this has been normal too, it would appear for a few seconds then the computer would run as normal. This time, however, the message remains and moves around the screen.
I have tried restarting it and it does beep when it comes on (which I've heard is supposed to happen) but just says "No Input Signal" and "Out of Range" as before. I have also tried F8 but nothing happens and disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor but to no avail.
This is a Windows XP computer (atm I'm using a laptop). My dad recently repaired/replaced our old computer (which was also an XP) but with a slower and (for want of a phrase) less compatible comp so this is probably the reason the resolution for The Sims 2 wasn't right in the first place.

P.s. Please, please, please help my dad only recently repaired the computer because it kept turning on and off randomly and I know he would be angry for it to be "broken" so early on. I only have until Friday or OR HE WILL KILL ME. Also, it would be best if I didn't have to buy anything as I can't really go to that length, plus, neither really can my parents, money is tight :L.

Thanks in advance!

Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 25, 2011 at 03:12 PM
Try hitting F8 multiple times during the boot. That's about your only chance to get into safe mode. Safe mode should come up with 800x600 standard resolution and allow you to correct the display settings. Next time change the settings with-in the game and not Windows.

Good Luck
helphelphelp1006 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 25, 2011 Status Member Last seen October 25, 2011
Oct 25, 2011 at 04:14 PM
I have tried hitting F8 but it doesn't work. The only improvement is that it doesn't say "Out of Range"...
Anonymous User
Oct 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Only luck is to boot into safemode or VGA mode.If you do not get the advanced startup menu then you need to repair your PC

Anyway try this

boot your PC into normal mode,yes you will not have the display but try this

After hearing the windows logon sound,wait for some time and try this

Press

windows key + R and type

desk.cpl and press enter key

Now press

ctrl and hit tab key four times

Now press the left arrow key 3 times

Press enter

Reboot and see if it works
helphelphelp1006
Oct 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM
if i do this, it won't reset everything will it?
Anonymous User
Oct 26, 2011 at 08:51 PM
The steps should be done as it is.
This is the simple way,if you think this will be risky then repair your PC
helphelphelp1006
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM
But will it reset? yes/no?
and i dont even get the logon sound, i don't even get up to the screen when windows is loading.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 27, 2011 at 03:12 PM
No it will NOT reset the computer. If by "reset" you mean Restore Windows.