How to change my Windows 7 background?

Solved/Closed
Princess_Tamara Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 27, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2012 - Dec 27, 2011 at 02:30 AM
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 - Jan 9, 2012 at 01:57 AM
Hello,
I am glad to see that other people are having the same trouble as me! I just got a Gateway Netbook, and it also has the FRUSTRATING Windows 7. I CANNOT change my desktop background image, though I have tried EVERYTHING you listed with the SAME results. I even tried changing through "My Pictures." They all make you think you have found your way, and then you click and splat, nothing happens! I have been working on this little bitty issue for HOURS, while the more complicated stuff is easy! I am NOT going crazy; now I AM CRAZY! Ahhh! :)
I am beginning to think this Windows 7 isn't Microsofts' finest hour! Is there anyone out there who HAS found a way to FIX this (I'm gonna pull out my hair and starve to death from being on the computer waay tooo long)...ISSUE???
Thank You!
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 27, 2011 at 05:34 AM
Hello Your Highnest,

You are correct, Windows 7, as well as Vista are not Windows' finest hour.

I do hope you have some hair left under your crown and that you at least had tea and a few scones.

Please try this:

Goto Run. Type regedit and then Enter.
Go to the following link -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

Change the value from 1 to 0.
Restart the machine.

Try changing your wallpaper

Regards
Princess_Tamara Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 27, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2012
Jan 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Hello,
I'm not really Royalty. : )
I managed to stay alive and not starve to death; but I suspect that 50% of my maddness was due to hunger...even though it looks like A LOT of people are going crazy over this one simple issue. Something so small, and yet sooooo frustrating. Having a photo on your background isn't a necessity to using the computer, or even that important; but it's one of those small things that I like to have, just to personalize my computer and make it feel cozy.
Anyway....I followed the instructions you sent me; however when I got to Policies, under CurrentVersion, the only things listed were - Attachments, - NonEnum, - System. If you have ActiveDesktop, I don't, and I don't know why?? My mother bought a used Acer from Ebay that has Windows Ultimate. I was able to change her background with no problems...a snap...just like on any other computer I've used, SIMPLE. Have any thoughts on why my moms would work? If having Windows Ultimate maybe somehow fixes it? Or any other thoughts on what I can try? My computer is a straight-up Gateway. Do you know if Gateway was bought-out by Acer or vise-versa? I was wondering if it might be the brand of computer I have? If Gateway is a good brand? It seems that a lot of the people complaining have Acers; but no matter what brand you have, your gonna have Windows. Would this gentlemen that my mother got her computer from have had to upgrade to Windows Ultimate, or do some computers come that way?
I'm sorry about all the questions, but I am a bit computer niave.
Thanks!!
~Tamara
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Jan 3, 2012 at 05:19 AM
Hello Tamara,

I just read your long paragraphe, I'm out of breath! Your life must be exciting and full of adventures!:-)

The changing of the background is more complex only with Windows 7, it has nothing to do with the computer brand.

As for computer quality,through my experience on this forum, there seems to be more techical problems with Acer than Gateway. I have an HP desktop. Just as an example, the other day, I purchased and ACER LED screen. Even with Acer's customer help I could get a good resolution. I returned it.

As for your background,

1. after entering the registry editor, do to edit and search.
2. Copy and paste:
CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

3. Click okay

4. When the search is finished, look in the right pane for the value to change

5. Save the change and restart your machine.

Let me know if you succeed or not and we will see about another miracle.

Best regards
Princess_Tamara
Jan 8, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Hello again,
Aren't you asking me to do the very same thing? Under Run I tried entering and searching for CurrentVersion/Policies/ActiveDesktop. The link didn't exist. Under Policies I don't have ActiveDesktop. After putting in regedit under Run, a box comes up that has in the left-hand corner, "Computer" with 5 HKEY... options listed there. There is no place in that box to do a search, so I don't understand your instructions.
I followeinstructions are different, could you please re-explain them, step by step; I am not real computer savvy.d your other directions, step by step, and under Policies there is no ActiveDesktop option. If your second.
Princess_Tamara
Jan 8, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Hello again,
Aren't you asking me to do the very same thing? Under Run I tried entering and searching for CurrentVersion/Policies/ActiveDesktop. The link didn't exist. Under Policies I don't have ActiveDesktop. After putting in regedit under Run, a box comes up that has in the left-hand corner, "Computer" with 5 HKEY... options listed there. There is no place in that box to do a search, so I don't understand your instructions.
I followeinstructions are different, could you please re-explain them, step by step; I am not real computer savvy.d your other directions, step by step, and under Policies there is no ActiveDesktop option. If your second instructions are different then the first, could you please re-eplain them. step by step? I'm not real computer savvy.
Thanks!
~Tamara

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Jan 9, 2012 at 01:57 AM
Hi,

Princess_Tamara solved her problem and explained how :
Hello All,
I received an email from the person I bought my Gateway from (with Windows Starter), and she gave me a link that I tried and it solved my problem! Thank the Lord. There were two options: Oceanis and Personalization Panel, I chose Personalization Panel because it just seemed easier to use. I hope this email helps anyone else out there still struggling with this issue. Thanks to all who tried to help me...and good luck to those who still need help.

Princess_Tamara

Regards