Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
-
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my external HDD.
It's an ~600 GB WD with 2 partitions.

The problem is in the second one: I cannot access it when i'm running Win7 and in Disk Management it shows me that it's a RAW partition, but when I try to convert from prompt back to NTFS it tells me that it is already NTFS.

And the interesting thing is that in Ubuntu I can access files easily from that partition.

What should I do? :D

Thanks!

2 replies

Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
I am guessing that the Master Boot Record is damaged. I suggest you read this web page: http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

Good Luck
Registration date
Thursday January 26, 2012
Status
Last seen
January 27, 2012

Using special tools for fixing MBR didn't worked out. I remember that I've read long time ago on a support forum that a check disk should resolve the problem, but the author of the post said that are 50% chances to damage the partition...

I assumed that nothing bad will happen and Nothing bad happened... :)) !! At the end of the log I saw something about MBR repair... maybe it really was a MBR problem.
see what you think of this situation my man , My acer aspire will not boot up , it freezes at the 1st screen and will only allow you the option of F2 menu or the bios/utility menu , but when you exit that it gives me a PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAIL CHECK CABLE & PXE-MOF : EXITING PXE ROM OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND message, the same results happen with this harddrive in a different laptop same results - there is no grinding or scraping sound from the HDD all you hear is a very quiet beep beep , so this is the status of my HDD/LAPTOP - now what I wanted to know is does this sound like the harddrive is fried or no ? its another problem ? my main concern is recovering the files and im wondering will a SATA to USB cord (vantech 20$) work to get my data off of the HDD ? or is it more likely by the sound of my issue im goin to have to send it off to a recovery center and pay 750+ ? thanks for your help
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
Most likely your hard dive has failed. You can try some of the free data recovery products and a USB adapter. But, but that "media test fail" error message probably indicates a failure of the "logic board" and the dive will probably not be able to be read.

Good Luck
Registration date
Thursday January 26, 2012
Status
Last seen
January 27, 2012

I'm not entirely sure where is the problem because I have the same problem on another computer.

In the BIOS boot order you can choose the devices order of booting:
In first position is a CD-DVD or bootable USB, in second is a HDD and in third is a network booting option (Not necessary this configuration).

The PXE-errors appears when no other device before PXE are found and there is no boot server. For more informations look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment .

It means that you have a problem with your HDD :| .

You should put it in a computer that already has a Hdd(Master) and set yours as a Slave. Start the OS and verify if you can access your hdd, from (My) Computer for example.