External hard drive not being detected after

Closed
dogmansam - Aug 15, 2012 at 04:00 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
hi there, first off thanx for your time.

ive gota external hdd (WD my book essential) not being detected when i plug it in.

im pretty sure this started after i plugged it into a powered usb hub with the wrong power cable in it, (could have blown something?)

i plug the hard drive in, and turn it on, i can hear it spin up, and lights flash, but nothing will show up on any computer, i took it back to the store and tried another cable, nothing. they would of had to wipe it to send it in, so ive just tried myself to fix it.
opened and tried plugging it into a computers spare sata cable thing. didnt detect it. i can take pictures of the board or anything, it looks pretty good, dont think any sign of burnt out anything.

any help or suggestions would be wicked, cheers.

sam.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Hello,

I will first advise you to try alternative USB port to see whether it is detected or not.

If this doesn't work, then right click on My Computer and select Manage. Reach Disk Management which is normally left under the Storage.

You will find that there are drives that are listed as Disk 0, Disk 1 and others. Initially, Disk 0 is the one assigned to your hard drive.

On first event, if the drive has a letter assigned to it, open My Computer and if you see it there, that means that it has been properly recognized.

If it is not the case, then you will yourself have to assign the drive letter.

Hope that this helps you.