Toshiba Screen Broken, Have External Monitor

Closed
kinera Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2012 - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Hello,
My Father recently got his laptop back from a friend and found out the screen was broken. You can't see anything on it but distorted pixels. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, I don't know much else about it. We have a compact external monitor that we've hooked up to the laptop, but when we turned it on we received nothing from the compact --the screen was just black. After looking online we discovered that typing in his password did something, and the external monitor displayed only the background and nothing else. There were no program shortcuts, no task bar --no nothing. We're wondering if anyone can help us so that the external monitor displays his things. (If we right click to try properties, nothing pops up. It continues to stay on the background picture he has set.) We're also not that computer savy, so detailed instructions would be most best. Thank you so much to anyone willing to lend us a hand!

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Laptops have a Function key that switches them from screen to external display. I suggest you try Fn + F4

Your laptop might have the external screen set to the "extended" mode where the external screen is an extension of the laptop screen. What you want is the "clone" mode where the external screen is identical to the laptop screen.

Most laptops use an Intel chipset so you want to find the Intel Display icon in the Control Panel and change the display mode.

You might try F8 right after you turn the laptop on. That will get you into "Safe Mode" and the hardware might display identical screens on both monitors. Then I think you can go to the Control Panel.

Good Luck