Unable to access Internet

Closed
Granddaddy Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 30, 2012 - Nov 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Dec 3, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Hello,
I use a Dell Inspiron 1100 which has developed a problem, it will not connect to the internet wirelessly and draws an IP address 169.254.77.40.
It does however connect via a ethernet connection.
I have tried various procedures from other sources with no success.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks!!
Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Nov 26, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Hi Granddaddy,

For other users who were facing this issue, resetting Internet Protocol helped in fixing the problem. It is recommended you try this fix from Microsoft. Below mentioned link has details on how to reset Internet Protocol:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

Do reply with results.
Hello Zohaib R,
Thank you for your response. In spite of having run the same at least on two occasions in the past, I tried it again.
Only this time I got a response saying that the process could not be completed, at least it was something to that effect.
You see, I can send & receive email and surf the web, but beyond that am totally computer "illiterate", so it is quite possible that I have inadvertently caused further damage.
I wonder if it would be possible for someone to access my laptop remotely to investigate what might be the matter. I feel that is the only way the problem may be resolved.
In any case thanks again for your effort.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Nov 29, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Hi Granddaddy,

Use the link mentioned below and run the diagnostics on communication devices in your system, including networking cards, wireless networking devices and telephone modems. This test will approximately take 6 minutes:

http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19

1. Open the page.
2. Check the radio button on Symptom.
3. Select Internet Performance.
4. Click Run Diagnostics.

I wish I could remotely access your machine but remote access tool for warranty entitled machines is available on Phone Support and Chat Support medium. However, I will continue to provide you support through instructions. In case of expired warranty scenario, we would be able to provide limited support, which will not cover part replacement, software support and onsite technician

Do reply with results.
Granddaddy Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 30, 2012
Nov 30, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Hi Zohaib R,
Thanks for the above. Unfortunately, although the test apparently detected 9 errors, it did not display results thereof. Furthermore it completed only 53 out of 63 items before turning off automatically.

My guess is that I must have done something incorrectly in my efforts to resolve this problem.

On my second attempt I received the following:-
"5 errors occurred in opening the page , For more information, choose Window > Activity."

As you can understand, I was absolutely stumped, ha! ha!

I think I shall just call it a day and leave the laptop at the kerb next week.
Thanks anyway for your assistance.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 3, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Hi Granddaddy,

I am sorry for the delayed response. Your post says that the test detected 9 errors. It ran 53 out of 63 tests. No problem, provide me with the test results. If possible send me a screenshot of the test screen. And I will try to see what I can do for you.

Please do write back to us.