Number keys and arrow keys are not working

Closed
autotive Posts 1 Registration date Monday December 3, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 3, 2012 - Dec 3, 2012 at 06:56 PM
 Essygamer - Mar 20, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Hello,
Hi everyone, I use compaq mini laptop, my number keys such as 1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0. and my down and right arrow keys stopped working after reinstalling my windows 7 please I need your help.Thanks.

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Hi autotive,

The problem you have reported could possibly be some keyboard setting or a faulty keyboard. We can isolate this by following a few troubleshooting steps.

As for the Numeric Keys not working try toggling Num Lock key on the keyboard and see if it starts to work. If this doesn't fix the problem try the below mentioned steps:

1. Check for any spilled liquids on the keyboard.
2. Verify that there is nothing sitting on the keyboard.
3. Plug or reseat the keyboard connector (Note: you might need a technician's help to do so or you can refer to the Service Manual of your laptop. Ensure all the power connections including battery and external devices are removed before you open computer chassis).
4. Verify that there are no broken/damaged pins or damage to the cable. Replace the keyboard for damaged pins/cable.
5. All the steps from here will need an external USB keyboard. Using the external keyboard, boot the system to a DOS prompt (Click Start type cmd in Run) to test the keyboard.
6. If the keyboard works fine on DOS Prompt, reinstall the keyboard driver, if there is keyboard driver for your laptop.
7. Check the Accessibility Options (Click Start type Ease of Access Center and hit Enter) in the Control Panel (options on Keyboard tab should be unchecked).
8. Swap with a known good keyboard (if available). If the known good keyboard works, replace the Keyboard.
9. Test the keyboard functionality in Safe Mode (hit F8 when the computer starts and select Safe Mode). If the issue remains in Safe Mode, Replace the Keyboard.
10. If the keyboard works in the Safe Mode, restore the operating system to an earlier date (Click Start type "system restore" in the search box and hit Enter).

Do reply with results.
Also, holding the keys for a longer time can help in some cases. If it happend to be the case, than you should check all the options set in Ease of Access. It might be that the time set for windows to accept the key you press is too long. Writing this from the keyboard with described problem.
Ok
I'm going to get a new keyboard or try it on my laptop
Because I'm booting DOS but my arrow keys and my f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9,f10,f11,f12 keys don't work but is fine on my laptop when I tried booting it on my laptop.

DOS is best