Black screen and cursor conundrum

Closed
kingbails Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday January 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2013 - Jan 2, 2013 at 02:44 AM
maulana Dh Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2013 - Jan 2, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Hello,

Hi there, my girlfriend dropped my notebook and since then it boots up but before I can log in I get a black screen with cursor. I can not bring up the CTRL + ALT + DLT menu and I can't log in in safe mode, it loads up to the same point.

I have formatted and booted from USB to load Windows 7 (notebook so no CD drive). The strange thing is, when I load 64 bit I can log in but the system frequently freezes up and eventually crashes. I thought this may be to do with the system not being made to run this version.

So I install 32 bit and it goes back to the same problem with the black screen and cursor, no option to log in, no CTRL + ALT + DLT and when trying to open in safe mode same black screen no further options.

Another thing, I have 2GB expandable RAM which when I take it out, the computer doesn't do anything at all. I'm far from an expert, but could the problem be with the internal RAM? Any suggestions at all?

I live in China so if it needs to get serviced it wouldn't be too costly, but I like solving things at home if possible.

Thanks, Paul

Related:

1 response

maulana Dh Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2013
Jan 2, 2013 at 09:07 AM
try to 'repair computer' options :

turn your notebook on, press F8 right after it starts
then choose 'repair computer'