Dell Inspiron 1545 Not Charging??

Closed
TechGenius Posts 2 Registration date Sunday February 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2013 - Feb 24, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Feb 26, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Hello,

I have noticed many of you have been searching for a Dell related charging issue. Many believe it has to do with the Motherboard, Or The Battery. I have been through 1 Dell Laptop and I have replaced the Charging Cord twice now, and when the 2nd charger quit on me, I investigated further. I found that the Plug end(Wall receptical end of the cord) has a 2 pin connector which plugs into the actual charging block before it is plugged into the laptops charging port. these two pins slide into a dual Female socket inside of a soft rubber housing. I first noticed the female components had become loose with abuse (imagine that) and it was no longer making contact. after finding an old stereo cable, with the same size connector, i shaved it down with my dremel tool to fit the charging block. it fits so securely now my battery constantly charges. I will try to provide photos as this is my first entry. I had kept my first reject charger and found the same problem, the female barrels that accept the 2 male prongs have indeed "widened" and would no longer stay connected while the two plugs were secured. some easy fiddling and these prongs can be re tightened to avoid paying anymore. I've had my dell inspiron since jan.2010 and shes a champ!

Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 25, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Hi TechGenius,

The two parts of the AC Adapter Unit that you are referring to, are the `Power Cord' (the cable with 2/3 prongs connecting to the wall outlet) and the `AC Adapter Brick'. Troubleshooting steps that you have tried might be a temporary work around. However, it is not recommended to tamper the components as it might be unsafe to do so. If the AC adapter stops working and you determine that the problem is with the Power Cord only, you replace this as a separate part rather than replacing the entire AC Adapter unit.

Please revert for clarification.
TechGenius Posts 2 Registration date Sunday February 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2013
Feb 25, 2013 at 07:16 PM
precisely. this is just a faster way of finding this problem. others may find worse. tamper i did not. i only found a different cord, and modified 1/16 inch of the rubber to fit the brick. nothing to compromise. Much of this can be exagerated enough to make any sheep pay someone else to fix the problem. this is just 1 solution
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 26, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Hi TechGenius,

It will be really appreciated if you could please upload the pictures for the workaround you have tried so that it helps other user. You can post the images here:

https://postimages.org/

Please do write back to us.