Connecting a wireless internet broadband

Closed
eyes - Feb 16, 2009 at 06:01 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 16, 2009 at 06:51 PM
Hello,
i would like help to connect my NOW wireless broadband to a router or even a wireless access point to share the internet with other computers in the home.The Now wireless broadband does not require a fixed telephone line as it connects straight to the computer,whereas routers seem to require you to connect the adsl wire to the phone socket giving internet.can someone please tell me what equipment i need to do this as i have no phone line at home.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 16, 2009 at 06:16 PM
No you can not connect a wireless router the the NOW modem. This is what I found after a short internet search:

The wireless modem is indeed quite small, smaller than most ADSL routers. It comes with a USB and Ethernet port at the back to plug it into your computer. Our idea was we could plug a wireless hub into the back of the NOW broadband modem and share the Internet connection to VPN over from our laptops. Sadly the Ethernet port at the back of the modem is a PPOE port that doesn't support normal TCP/IP ethernet traffic, the modem also needed to be connected to the NOW broadband service with a username and password from a client installed on your PC...urrrggghh.
HI I WAS SPEAKING TO THE NOW BROADBAND TEAM AND THEY SAID THE PPOE HAS TO BE SET ON SHARING BUT I AM AT A LOSS AS IT STILL MUST REQUIRE A ROUTER OR GATEWAY.CAN YO STILL USE ONE OF THESE OR WOULD I HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER BROADBAND SERVICE.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 16, 2009 at 06:51 PM
Call them back and get a specific recommendation for the hardware you need. Sadly I don't know a thing about PPPOE connections. Sorry I misled you - I trusted the 1st information I found and did not cross check it. I did find this set of instructions for a Linksys router. For home use the term Gateway and Router are nearly synonymous. The home routers are in effect gateways, routers and switches all in one. You enter the NOW ID and password into the router and it manages the connection and provides local internet IDs to your computers. Be sure to use encryption on any wireless network and choose a network name that is not connected to you and a sufficiently random password.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3687&lid=3973237401B07