My Hard Disk Problem

Closed
hakeeminsaf Posts 4 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 6, 2013 - May 4, 2013 at 02:08 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - May 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I have a wd 1 tb hard disk and when i connect it to my windows 8 Lenovo laptop the notification sound comes on the laptop indicating that a device has been plugged in to my laptop and the light on the hard disk comes on indicating that it is connected to a device but i cant see the hard disk in " My Computer "
when i open wd software on my computer it says that there is no wd device connected to my computer
i have over 50 movies on that hard disk and a very slow internet connection
it took me about a year to download all those and there is other important information
please help me
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 4, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) Try connecting to the on-board USB slots available at the back.

2) Make sure that it got detected in the device manager.

Hold the "Windows Key" and press the "R" key. "Run" will be opened.

Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. "Device Manager" will be opened.

Make sure that you external drive got detected and there is no yellow mark on

it.

3) If you can see your external drive getting detected in device manager then

check in the "Disk Management".

Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. If you notice your external drive without any

drive letter then right-click on it --> Select "Change drive letter and paths" -->

Click on "Add" and assign the drive letter.

Good Luck
hakeeminsaf Posts 4 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 6, 2013
May 4, 2013 at 04:54 PM
when i right click the unknown hard disk i cant find an option called " change drive letter and paths "
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 5, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Plug your external drive,
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. "Device Manager" will be opened.
Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" by double-clicking on it or by clicking on
the "+". Now right-click on the "USB Mass Storage Device" --> Select "Uninstall".
After uninstallation, unplug your external drive and plug it back after a minute.
If you still failed to get a drive letter then assign a drive letter as given in the above steps.
Good Luck
hakeeminsaf Posts 4 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 6, 2013
May 5, 2013 at 08:21 AM
when i do the steps in the first one i find something saying initialise disk and when i click that it says : the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

what am i supposed to do now
May 5, 2013 at 08:26 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Restart your PC and then try once again. Also check your External Drive Data Cable.
Good Luck
May 6, 2013 at 04:51 AM
i did both of them and it is not bieng recognised on any computer and i used different cables
May 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter.
"Command Prompt" will be opened.
Now enter the below commands
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter
start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter
"Device Manager" window will be opened.
Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"
Now expand all the nodes by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed entries --> Right click on it --> Select "Uninstall".
Restart your PC --> Now try connecting your external drive.
If the problem still exists then try connecting your external drive to another PC to make sure that its getting detected.
Good Luck