Dell Inspiron 546 wouldn't start

Closed
amartinkov Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2013 - May 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - May 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I have Dell Inspiron 546 that sometimes boots up, but most of the time wouldn't.
I have changed almost everything on it. I've changed power supply, hard drive, mother board, but it still boots only once in a while. Also when I say boot up, I mean getting at least to BIOS.
Anyone please help.
Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Hi amartinkov,

Please try the below mentioned steps which will help you isolate the point of failure:

1. Disconnect the computer and all the peripherals from the power source; remove power cord and any attached peripherals from the computer tower. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to remove any Flea Power in the computer.

2. Remove the following components in sequence from the computer:

a. Hard Drive
b. Optical drive
c. Front Bezel
d. Front I/O Panel
e. PCI Card(s) if any
f. Memory (leave only one memory module in any one of the slots)

3. Connect power cord, keyboard, mouse and monitor and power on the computer with the components left
Note: the above two steps are to be performed strictly under technical supervision. If you do not have experience of working with the internal components of the computer please take a technician's help else, refer to the Service Manual for "Safety Instructions" and exact steps for removal of the components. Click here to view/download the Service Manual.

4. If the computer enter the BIOS Setup every time with these components only, it indicates one of the removed components is causing the problem. Try connecting the components one by one to identify the point of failure.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
amartinkov Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2013 1
May 29, 2013 at 03:17 PM
I have tried everything just like described, there is still no success to even boot bios.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 30, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Hi amartinkov,

With all the components removed, what is the exact symptom the computer is exhibiting? What is the light on the power button? Is it solid white, blinking amber or solid amber in color? Is the fan in the power supply and on the processor spinning? Do you hear any beeps? If possible remove all the memory modules and check if you hear beeps.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
amartinkov Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2013 1
May 30, 2013 at 09:45 AM
When everything is unplugged the light is solid AMBER. (when I shut the PC down second light below turns white).
When I have at least something plugged in such as hard drive - AMBER solid and no response from the bottom light.
All fans are up and running, power supply runs good(just tested it with a tester),
no beeps when RAM is out. And I don't hear any beeps.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
May 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Hi amartinkov,

"Solid Amber" indicates the system has failed to pass its power on self test. This symptom is noticed when one of the following component is failing:

1. Motherboard
2. Memory
3. Processor
4. Video

However, this is characterized by beep codes. But in your case beep codes are not heard. The light below the power button is Hard Drive Activity Light, you will see an activity in this light if the Hard drive is spinning.

From overall results it seems that the power supply is not able to distribute the power correctly. Did you check the specification of the power supply before replacing? Also, when testing did you use the Dell Power Tester? Click here to see an image of the Dell Power Tester.