A disk read error occurred...Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Closed
timlawrence Posts 3 Registration date Friday July 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2013 - Jul 19, 2013 at 09:37 AM
 suki - Nov 6, 2013 at 08:03 AM
My PC displays the following:
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Doing that just repeats the same: Splash screen and same error

I booted from my XP Pro CD and was reading options at the bottom of the screen and saw ASR (Automatic System Recovery) and pressed F2 BUT F2 wants an ASR floppy I do not have. I guess I should have done the below?

[ Microsoft recommends that you regularly create Automated System Recovery (ASR) sets as part of an overall plan for system recovery so that you are prepared if the system fails. ASR should be a last resort for system recovery. Use ASR only after you have exhausted other options. For example, you should first try Safe Mode Boot and Last Known Good.

ASR is a two-part system; it includes ASR backup and ASR restore. The ASR Wizard, located in Backup, does the backup portion. The wizard backs up the system state, system services, and all the disks that are associated with the operating system components. ASR also creates a file that contains information about the backup, the disk configurations (including basic and dynamic volumes), and how to perform a restore.

You can access the restore portion by pressing F2 when prompted in the text-mode portion of setup. ASR reads the disk configurations from the file that it creates. It restores all the disk signatures, volumes, and partitions on (at a minimum) the disks that you need to start the computer. ASR will try to restore all the disk configurations, but under some circumstances it might not be able to. ASR then installs a simple installation of Windows and automatically starts a restoration using the backup created by the ASR Wizard.]

I let setup load and the welcome screen has three options:
To setup windows xp now, press enter
To repair a windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R
To quit setup, press F3

I went to the Recovery Console and used the info found (below) with my internet search on how to fix the error:
The 1. Option: CHKDSK checked the volume and completed 34% and then stated "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."
The 2. Option: The fixboot from the Recovery Console states: The target partition is C:. Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C:?
The 3. Option below had statements discouraging using that option

I did a bootcfg /list and it states "there are currently no boot entries available to display.

I did a bootcfg /scan and it states "Error: Failed to scan disks ...Error may be caused by corrupt file system would prevent bootcfg from scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."

I did a bootcfg /rebuild and it states the same "Error: Failed to scan disks ...Error may be caused by corrupt file system would prevent bootcfg from scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."

What next?

Should I say yes to the fixboot question?

Should I do a repair of a Windows XP installation?

Should I start drinking heavily???

THANKS!!!
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jul 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Option zero = buy a new hard disk and reinstall Windows.

If CHKDSK failed then you NEED a new hard disk.

Good Luck
timlawrence Posts 3 Registration date Friday July 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2013
Jul 19, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Do you think I'll be able to recover any data from the disk?

THANK$
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jul 19, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Perhaps - You can't tell until you try.

Good Luck
timlawrence Posts 3 Registration date Friday July 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2013
Jul 20, 2013 at 05:46 PM
What would be the best process to do that?

THANKS!
I recently experienced this too, and solved it! I'm using a desktop PC, Windows 7, with a SATA drive. For other people having this problem, using a desktop with a "clean" check disk, try removing your internal drive, then putting it back again. I've been observing my PC for 2 days now... no more black screen with that message! I hope it's as simple as that for you too!