Excel help on IF formula

Solved/Closed
BruceCurry Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 24, 2013 - Jul 24, 2013 at 07:44 AM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 24, 2013 at 02:42 PM
I want to say IF cell L27 equals the word 'low' then do sum of cell x * cell y, if cell L27 equals the work "expected" then do Sum of Cell a * b and if cell L27 equals the word "Potential" then do sum of cell D * cell F.

So three different sums depending on whihc of three words are in cell L27. Can anyone help please

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Good morning,

The logic for that formula is as follows:
=if(logic check,true,false)

you can nest if statement like so:
=if(logictest,true,if(anotherlogictest,true,false))

I hope this gives you some direction.
BruceCurry Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 24, 2013
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Sorry that does not really help, I need it drawn out specifically because despite several attempts I am clearly not getting it right. I am a basic excel user to the formula to copy and see is what I am after

Many Thanks
Blocked Profile
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
ok we'll try this...

****quote****
I want to say IF cell L27 equals the word 'low' then do sum of cell x * cell y
, if cell L27 equals the work "expected" then do Sum of Cell a * b and

if cell L27 equals the word "Potential" then do sum of cell D * cell F.

So three different sums depending on whihc of three words are in cell L27. Can anyone help please
****quote*******

some cell contains the following formula checking ofr contents of cell L27:

ANSWER-YOU MAYHAVE TO ACTUALLY USE SOME abstract thinking and PUT IN THE CORRECT CELLS, but the wirework has been done for you, I really hope this isn't for a school project, or a graded assignment as i just gave the answer which is why I do not HOLD HANDS around here like alot of others!

=if(L27="low",X*Y,if(L27="expected",A*B,if(L27="potential",D*F,"EMPTY")))

So, there you have it.....that does work....
I'm done with this site. I came here for help, helped while I was waiting, and I have had my hand slapped for walking on toes, but I still get walked on! Have fun Unlocking Facebook and DL WHATSAPP!
BruceCurry Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 24, 2013
Jul 24, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Thank you, it does and I am very grateful and have learned something!
Blocked Profile
Jul 24, 2013 at 02:42 PM
I am glad I could help, mark it s solved please! Thanks and it was a pleasure, really!