I am just learning the basics

Solved/Closed
itstubtime Posts 6 Registration date Wednesday August 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2013 - Aug 7, 2013 at 01:18 PM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 8, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Hello All,
I am new to this community. I have just started learning Excel and am having a problem with a formula. the community here from what I have read in the forums have a lot of answers. I couldn't find an answer to my Question. Sorry if it has been asked before.
I have created a spreadsheet with the following. Hope I am wording this right.
The numbers in the cells that I want to create the formula for are.
A1=30,B1=1,C1=5,D1=1E1=1,F1=1,G1=0.5 Cell J will be my result. I want my formula to be in cell h I have it working know but had to create an additional cell to get it to work Cell J. here is my current formula.
In Cell J I have =(A1)-(B1)-(C1)-(D1)-(E1)-(F1) This gives me the correct result of 21. But I still Need to add more to this formula. So in Cell H1 I added this Formula.
=(J1/2)+(G2*2) this is now the right result of 11.5. I would like to add The Formula In cell H to the end of the Formula J so I can get rid of The cell J that I don't Want. Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank You David

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 7, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Give this a try. Instead of dividing the sum, multiply it by .5. same thing...

=(A1-B1-C1-D1-E1-F1-G1)*0.5+G2*2
itstubtime Posts 6 Registration date Wednesday August 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2013
Aug 7, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Thank You for the Quick reply.
The formula result is not giving the right result. the correct result should be 22 not 22.2. Any other Ideas?

Thank You
David
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Ah, yea. that is correct.

How do you get a whole number when clearly in your last cell there is a partial value of a number or .5. for 21.5.

So how do you get a whole number from a fraction, you round. Your worksheet (Cells) is(are) rounding.

Have fun!
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 09:50 AM
Yuu get the same result with this formula:
=A1-SUM(B1,C1,D1,E1,F1)

If you are subtracting F1 in your calculation, then remove it if it doesn't need to be part of the solution. (per your original question)...

PLease try to use my examples and LEARN FROM THEM BY LOOKING AT HOW IT WORKS, AND MODIFY to your own, need! DO NOT JUST TAKE MY ANSWER AND CUT AND PASTE IT! I am not doing anyones homework for them!

You say that you are just beginning with excel, but general "RULES" of Math says the "whole number" calculation is WRONG!

Go back and take a look at your math, and try it in your head 30(a1) minus 1(b1)=29, then minus 5(c1) for 24, minus 1(d1) for 23, minus 1(e1) for 22, minus .5(f1) = 21.5

If for some reason you do not want F1 in there then remove it...the point of the whole lesson was to reverse the Math Function and it will work.

BTW-you posted this in your question:
=(J1/2)+(G2*2) this is now the right result of 11.5.
Well, what value is G2? What ever is that cell will change the final answer.

Think about it once again, is it really wrong? No, the formula is, as I put F1 in place, when your question clearly DID not ask for F1, but I, once again, I am trying to teach you to use your brain, not cut and paste!
itstubtime Posts 6 Registration date Wednesday August 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2013
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Thanks for the reply.
What I was doing was opening a new sheet and calling it test sheet and trying the formula multiple ways.
I did not know you could cut and paste an answer. in my learning process i was wanting to get use to the key strokes not cut and paste. the simple answer was not what I was looking for. an explanation of what the formula was saying or how it should be said was what i was looking for. for example A1 minus B1 Minus and so on,I just did not know how to add then divide by 2 to the formula to get it to work.
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM
So, is this solved with (*.5)? :) If so, mark it as solved please!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
i still haven't figured it out yet.
just a little confused by the answer.

David
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Okey dokey, take your time. It is much easier to multiply by .5 than it is to divide by 2. SO in your formula to divide, just change it to multiply by .5 (same thing).

=(A1-B1-C1-D1-E1-F1)*0.5+G2*2 will give you what you are looking for, I have removed the G1 reference placed in my earlier answer-bringing OUR totals to the same number (22).
Aug 8, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Thank You Again
I was understanding the multiply instead of divide.
on the test sheet i still had the other column J in the equation

I did it all again on another and it worked.

Thank You For your time and Patience.
Now I will work on combining 4 sheets to 1 sheet.

Thank You David
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Any time...I am glad that you were able to work it out. Let us know if you need further help!