Problem Trying to Install iTunes 8

Closed
QBNQT - Mar 1, 2009 at 07:19 PM
 Amy - Oct 17, 2011 at 04:31 PM
Hello, I just tried installing iTunes 8 version. It gave me a message saying I may not have sufficient privileges.
Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Related:

9 responses

NOT happy w/ this update. tried to install 8.2 Itunes this morning on my Vista machine and now Itunes will not even open properly...it's a mess. the install provided a clue - at the end it said something about special Iphone sofware and when i try to open Itunes it says: the software required for communicating with Ipods and mobile phones was not installed correctly' and it asks about repairing it...neither option works.

so i'm panicked as i run a record label and online CD store and i use this all day long and now can't. Opening in 8.01 will now not work, as a result of whatever happened w/ this upate. any ideas?

MUCH appreciated!
Hi,
I am having the same problem wrt to permissions - the permission problems are different each time I try to install it, but that's the theme. I event tried to install it in a new folder but the same permission problems came up. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I have been trying to sort this problem out for 2 weeks because the version of iTunes that I have now won't allow me to update my iPhone because it gives me a message that the iPhone requires 8.2 but then 8.2 won't install !!!!!! ANY suggestions would be REALLY appreciated !!!
Here is what worked for me and it was simple:

1. From Control panel, uninstall all apple applications...itunes, ipod, quicktime, bonjour, apple mobile, etc.

2. After that is done, go to Windows explorer and delete all folders that exist for those applications.

3. Then download and install itunes.

This worked fine. Good luck.
Bruce your method worked perfect.
I had problems installing iTunes 9 do to a problem of uninstalling verion 8. Use this to help, it solved my problem. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2031350&tstart=450

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi Bruce,

I finally got it to work! When it saves to your C-drive, rename the folder. I tried everything out there, and this actually worked! It started up fine after that, but this may only work for error 1321.

Try this forum, which has a link to a "take ownership" shortcut. However, it did not work for Vista Ultimate. See:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/error-1321-help
What did you change the file name to. I'm having the same problem.
Hi,

When it started to save (before it says insufficient priv, error 1321, etc...) it attempted to save over my old iTunes folder. At that point, I hi-lighted the folder name and just changed the name to iTunes_2, and Vista created a new folder automatically. So, you have to sit there and watch which folder it tries to install to, but it's worth it if you can redirect the installation to a new folder that you create on the spot! After that, I didn't have any problems, and everything new is in my iTunes_2 folder. I didn't delete the old folder, just incase.

Really frustrating, though! Is this a technique to get us all to switch to Mac????!!!!
roddaut Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday July 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 22, 2009
Jul 22, 2009 at 01:18 PM
Your solutioni worked like a charm. Thank you.

Rodney
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been trying to sort this out for months, just wish I'd come across your instructions earlier! Working like a dream now.
you are great
omg that totally worked! ty!
This is excellent! Thank you!
I was able to get past it by leaving the error message up in the installer and tracking the file path, getting into the security properties of the parent folder. From there I gave full control. Then went to the file it was erroring out on, "insufficient priveleges", and I was able to edit the security properties, giving "trusted installer" full control. Clicked retry on iTunes, and it passed it. Working with Vista on an HP. Successfully installed.
Hey, can you break down what you did in layman's terms? How do you track the file path?

thanks ;)