Toshiba Satellite

Closed
janetdeane Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 13, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2014 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I have read your instructions of how to return my Tosiba Satellite to factory settings, which I have done before, but it is not working this time. The window that comes up is the Windows Error Recovery so only have choice of safe mode etc. Can you help. I tried to get Toshiba recovery disc creator but it doesn't come up in the start menu. Thanks
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 13, 2014 at 02:09 PM
You can't return the computer to factory settings if you have a defective hard disk. Perhaps it's time to take the computer to a local PC repair shop.

Good Luck
janetdeane Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 13, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2014
Feb 13, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Ahhh, thank you. I was told to turn on laptop and keep pressing F8, which does bring up a recovery tool, but when I highlight the option to restore the complete Windows operating system it only advises that all files will be lost and gives option to close or restart. I had been using the laptop it was just the memory that was used up that was the problem. Does this mean that the hard disk is defective? Thank you so much for your help.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 13, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Now you tell us the full story. You don't have the memory "used up" you probably have the Hard disk full. So you don't want to restore to factory condition at all.
If you tell us the version of Windows we can tell you how to clean out unnecessary files.
janetdeane Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 13, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2014
Feb 13, 2014 at 08:39 PM
Ok, sorry, I thought that returning to factory settings would solve the memory problem. I have taken all files off the laptop, I did take it into a shop who presumed that I had loads of memory used up in files but was surprised that I had taken everything off. He then looked into some file and he said that it must be all the updates, and nothing I could do. But I did return to factory settings before and this wiped everything clean. It is Vista. C drive is 55.6 GB with 12 GB free. Data E is 54.6GB with 53GB free. I would appreciate you advising how to clear this memory. Thanks.
Feb 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
First let's clear-up some nomenclature - "memory" is on a silicon chip attached to the motherboard and is different from hard disk "storage". Its function is sort-term storage of programs while they are running. Long term storage is done on the hard disk. So your problem is that your hard disk is full not that you are short of memory.

If you restore the laptop to its factory condition Windows will spend the next 24 hours applying the 4 or 5 hundred updates that have been issued since the computer was made. You will be back to the same position you are currently in.

I suggest you download the free version of a program called CCleaner. One of its functions is to clean unneeded files from the hard disk. Just Google the name for a download location.

Good Luck