McAfee spamming [Solved/Closed]

jademoon 3 Posts Saturday April 6, 2013Registration date February 22, 2014 Last seen - Feb 21, 2014 at 08:35 PM - Latest reply:  jademoon
- Mar 1, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Hi Friends,
I bought a year's subscription for McAfee anti-virus protection for my PC last year. After only a couple of months they started spamming me with adware and exhortations to renew my subscription. I renewed it again this year a couple of weeks before it lapsed on Feb. 14th. To no avail - they kept spamming me with ads and threatening me that my protection had lapsed and that I was going to get a virus. Even now, a week after I paid them for another year of protection, I'm being spammed and threatened to distraction by them. The same thing happened previously with AVG anti-virus protection, which is why I switched to McAfee.
Can anyone tell me the best way to get simple virus protection without all this hassle? Thank you. Jademoon
See more 

7 replies

kieferschild 2391 Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration dateModeratorStatus May 29, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2014 at 08:38 PM
Thank you
Hello,

i imagine you're just receiving marketing emails etc.

i use ESET NOD32 Internet Security - They're really good and i highly recommend them.

http://www.eset.com

Sometimes when my internet is down I forget the rest of my computer works.
jademoon 3 Posts Saturday April 6, 2013Registration date February 22, 2014 Last seen - Feb 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Thank you
Thank you for your reply kieferchild. I will try eset. They don't spam with adware and threaten with viruses? How much does it cost? JadeMoon
-----------------------------------
You have asked to receive replies to the message of jademoon, entitled "Any Advice?" posted on February 21, 2014 08:38 PM on "Antivirus".
This message just received the following reply from kieferschild:
Hello,
i imagine you're just receiving marketing emails etc.
i use ESET NOD32 Internet Security - They're really good and i highly recommend them.
kieferschild 2391 Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration dateModeratorStatus May 29, 2018 Last seen - Feb 22, 2014 at 03:11 PM
Hello,

im not sure. You'd have to go on the website and take a look. I don't believe they spam only for software upgrades and licence renewals but thats to be expected.
ac3mark 9993 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus July 20, 2018 Last seen - Feb 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Thank you
If I may,

Log into your ISP protal, and see if they offer a free license. You may already be paying for antivirus monthly in your internet bill. Check it out.

All of the big players would rather have you protected, it protects them. Besides if you cannot consume their bandwidth (because your internet experience is slow and crappy), they have no customers and they go away.

Have FUN!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
Ambucias 53286 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus July 20, 2018 Last seen - Feb 22, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Thank you
I have had experience with several antivirus software, including McAfee and I was never spammed.

It would be wise to download and run this software:

Download the following Adwcleaner created by Xplode
http://ccm.net/download/download-24088-adwcleaner
Launch it (for Windows 7 and 8, click right to run as administrator)
Click on delete
Post the log C:\Adwcleaner[Sx].txt on this thread.

Certainly in the future, for your security, I would stay away from not only McAfee but also from all Norton Symantec products who will charge you a fortune to disinfect the computer you paid them to protect.

Kieferchild suggests Nod 32, I use F-Secure and Kaspersky is also recommended.

Good luck

Ambucias
Moderator, Virus/Security Contributor
Ambucias 53286 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus July 20, 2018 Last seen - Feb 22, 2014 at 04:59 PM
P.S. Best not to buy antivirus online, but a computer store, then you have a CD in case of problems.
Thank you all for your advice and help. I've learned something from you that will help me in the future and have now solved my problem. Jademoon