Compaq Evo N610c inbuilt speakers not working

Solved/Closed
anonymoose - Mar 3, 2009 at 07:22 AM
 mark - Mar 14, 2009 at 08:45 PM
Hello,

The inbuilt speakers on my laptop do not work. I believe the headphone input socket to be the problem because when I stick my headphones in it only works if I squeeze the laptop near the socket. The input has been quite heavily used so i'm quite certain its broken somehow. Anyway, my layman theorising has led me to the conlcusion that my laptop thinks that headphones are plugged in when they're not and so disables the speaker so maybe if I could disable the headphone input the speakers might work. I'm sorry if this sounds confusing but my computer knowledge is really, really limited. Any help would be massively appreciated. thanks

3 responses

Regarding the speakers not working due to faulty headphone jack: I had the same problem and usb speakers
work fine if you don't mind the inconvenience of having to use external speakers. There should be a headphone jack on the master speaker so you can still use your headphones. I bought a set of usb speakers on ebay for $15 to $20 range and they were adequate.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 3, 2009 at 01:00 PM
You have half the story. There is a simple mechanical connection in the headphone socket that disconnects the speakers when you insert the headphone jack. It is made to spring back and reconnect when you remove the headphones. Over time, helped along with over vigorous insertions, this metal prong can become permanently disconnected. There is not much you can do. A repair might cost $100 or more. Sorry
Hey, thanks for the help anyways buddy! One more thing..if I splashed out on some USB speakers would they work?? Thanks again