Problems starting Windows after essential update

Solved/Closed
swansea Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2014 - Mar 2, 2014 at 06:32 PM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 3, 2014 at 05:20 PM
After my Windows essential update, I could not load windows and had to revert to the previous system restore point to get it to load. Of course, after the computer started, the updates came back on the computer. I installed them while my computer was still on and continued on my merry way. But then I turned the computer off. When I went to turn it on again, the same thing happened. Only this time the latest restore point did not do the trick. I had to revert to a time before the last update (Feb 28) I did the disk scan and all was well as far as hardware concerned. Also did a virus scan and nothing noted. Any ideas on what is going on? Seems to me there is a software problem being CAUSED by the update. I did disable my automatic update so I can close my computer without worrying about being able to start it tomorrow.
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 2, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Hi,

please try running the following on your computer:

https://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues/en-gb
swansea Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2014
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Thank you, kieferschild! Ran the app and it fixed some stuff, but I still need to resolve the following:
1 Security Registration missing or corrupt (Did a diskscan and hardware is ok)
2. Trouble installing recent updates (probably because security registration is missing)
3. error ox80070057(2014-03-02-T-11_07_51P

I am thinking fixing the Security Registration file will take care of the rest. Any ideas on where to get it and how to download it into the right place?

Thank you again!
Blocked Profile
Mar 3, 2014 at 06:53 AM
What version of Windows are you running?

hold the windows key (inbetween CTRL + ALT bottom left) and press R.

type cmd and press OK.

type sfc /scannow and press OK.

Very thats the BITS service is running:

To verify that BITS is correctly configured and then start BITS, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then click Apply.
Click the Log On tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in every hardware profile that is listed. If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click the hardware profile, click Enable, and then click Apply.
Click the General tab, and then click Start. Whilst in here make sure windows updates is set to automatic.

If BITS starts successfully, visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to obtain updates. If you successfully obtain updates, follow steps 1 to 3 again. However, in step 3, click Automatic instead of Manual.

If this doesnt work try this:

hold the windows key and R

type regedit

right click your computer and export to a file, this creates a backup.

then go to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ Windows\WindowsUpdate

Remove any and all values within this key

then run this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Try the Default settings first, and if that does not work, try Aggressive.

reboot the computer and run windows updates.
swansea Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2014
Mar 3, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Got it fixed. Turns out the culprit was an optional Windows NET framework update that kept trying to reload itself:Even though it was already installed, it kept coming up as a new update. Ahhh! Feels good to have a working computer again. Thank you, kieferschild for your help!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Mar 3, 2014 at 05:20 PM
No problem :)

glad it's sorted.