-
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
-
I have sony vaio vpceh18fa
I tried to repair HDD from a recovery page. It stuck on 45% it says I have problems in some partition and it couldn't fix it. I tried to open my laptop after that. It kept saying there is no operating system. I tried to recover my laptop using the recovery usb. It gave me an error. Error 393. I checked bois . I find under main page of bois. It says hard disk drive : none
So how can I fix that.
Thanks for your help
Related:

2 replies

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
My best guess is that you need to buy a replacement hard drive.

Good luck
Registration date
Thursday October 9, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 10, 2014

Is there anyway I can get all my data on that HDD ?
and which brand of HDD should I get as a replacement ???
And is it possible to replace it by myself or do I need a technical to do that?
Registration date
Thursday October 9, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 10, 2014

And thanks for your help
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
It might be possible to recover some or all of your data. You can buy a USB hard drive inclosure that converts your existing drive to an external USB drive. Then you might be able to copy the data off the old drive.

Any 2.5 inch laptop drive of 500 GB should work. But, you will need the Windows DVD to reinstall Windows. Perhaps you can order a drive from Sony with Windows pre-installed.

Can you do it yourself? It all depends on your abilities.

Good Luck
Registration date
Thursday October 9, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 10, 2014

Is it possible to use a HDD more than 500 GB ??
Registration date
Thursday October 9, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 10, 2014

Now it gives me ( status : 0xc0000098 )
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Hi there,

Is your laptop still under warranty? If yes, you should contact the reseller, because I agree with xpcman, that the drive may have failed and changing any part may void your warranty. If you have no warranty left, you can get another 2,5'' hard drive. You should confirm the height of the hdd slot of your laptop, but I presume that a 9.5 mm drive should do the job, but you need to confirm that.
If you remove the drive from the VAIO, try to connect it to another PC. You can do that with a SATA connector or with a SATA to USB cable, directly to the USB slots. You should confirm if the drive is spinning and is working mechanically. After that you can check if the drive is visible by another PC, or check different OS, like Linux Live CD.

Hope this helps
Registration date
Thursday October 9, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 10, 2014

I bought that laptop 3 years ago so no warranty left. I always got blue screen but I ignored that and didn't send it to them to check and find what's wrong. I always heard some kind of voice coming from my laptop. It was like ( tick tick tick tick ) . I thought it was the DVD even if I don't have a DVD in use. Recently I changed to windows 8.1 and then changed back to windows 7 but there was something wrong with the repair section. It always give me windows 8.1 repair even after I reinstalled windows 7.
So is Linux live CD is a supported OS on vaio?? And is it a simple one...
My laptop recognize my Hard drive once and when I try to reinstall windows it say there no hard drive
Thanks for your help and sorry for asking more questions
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Well I do not believe that the Linux OS is supported, but I have seen a lot of Windows users having some success using it to access their drives. I really can not give you any additional details about using it, but I am sure that there plenty of good suggestions if you search them. I leave you some tips below.
Those ticking sounds may indicate a mechanical issue, which is some bad news. I would recommend you to get a new drive. I am sorry that I can not provide any more suggestions, but even if you access the drive, format it and make it work for a while, I would not rely on it and I believe that data safety should come first.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/190239/how-to-access-hard-drive-files-from-livecd - some useful topic