November 1, 2014
-
Registration date
Thursday October 30, 2014
Status
Last seen
November 1, 2014
-
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing alright. I apologize beforehand for the huge post.

I have an annoying problem, and I'm wondering if you guys could help me out: after the Windows XP logo screen I get a blue screen and then the computer reboots, repeating the process. I can't read what the blue screen says, because it reboots almost inmediately.

I get offered to start normally, on safe mode and more options, but I get the same crash no matter what I choose, so I can't do anything.

I believe this has something to do with the fact that I installed Windows XP with Sata drivers slipstreamed into the installation disc, because otherwise I couldn't install it on my laptop. It worked fine for over a year and suddenly I got this problem two days ago, and I don't remember changing or installing everything.

This topic describes exactly my problem: https://ccm.net/forum/affich-131682-xp-computer-crashes-before-startup . The solution seems to be changing the hard drive setting to Compatibility mode in the BIOS, but unfortunately my HP Pavilion DV5 has no such option.

I really don't want to install Windows again, because I have some files to back up :/

As some aditional information, I have three partitions on the disk: the one with Windows, another one with Ubuntu, and another one to store data. Ubuntu works fine, but I can't access the Windows partition while using it (it shows an error, saying that it can't mount the drive).

I also tried taking out the hard drive from the laptop and connect it to another computer with Windows 7 as an external drive. Both the Windows partition and the Data partition shows up (the Ubuntu one is hidden, but I believe that's normal). I can access the Data partition just fine, but I can't access the Windows one, saying that it needs to be formated before using it, so I can't backup any files on it.

Finally, I tried using the "recovery console" option from the Win XP installation disc, calling the commands Fixboot and Fixmrb (if I remember correctly), and not only it didn't work but now I can't boot on Ubuntu anymore, it goes straight to Windows, yay! That another problem altogether and I think I know how to fix it, but I'm mentioning it in case you guys want me to do something on Ubuntu: as of now, I can't.

Again, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide a lot of info. Can you guys please help me out?

Cheers!

1 reply

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
It appears that your Windows partition is damaged. If Fixboot and FixMBR didn't work then I would guess that you have a physical hardware error on the drive. I suggest you replace the drive and reinstall your software.

Good luck
Registration date
Thursday October 30, 2014
Status
Last seen
November 1, 2014

Well, if that's the case then that's a bummer.

I'll wait for a couple of days and if I don't found any solution, I guess I'll reinstall Windows, as much as I'll hate to do that.

Thanks for answering, have a nice day.