Problems accessing portable hard drive

Closed
brusobr Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday January 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 - Jan 14, 2015 at 12:43 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Jan 14, 2015 at 03:16 AM
Good day,

I have a Toshiba portable hard drive and an Asus laptop with windows 8.

A couple of days ago I was playing a game on steam, which I have downloaded onto the portable hard drive. In the middle of playing the game my hard drive fell and disconnected obviously causing the game to crash. I quickly reconnected the hard the hard drive, exited the crashed game and attempted to restart steam. However, when I went into my computer to access the hard drive there was a problem. While my computer was detecting the portable hard drive it was not showing how much memory was in use compared to total available space as it does with the other drives available on my computer. When I try to access the hard drive in simply makes my desktop crash momentarily before everything restarts.

I have tried using disk management to see if the hard drive shows up however sometimes it does not even show the hard drives being read by the computer and gets stuck trying to access them. The few times it does show all the hard drives it shows the portable hard drive as having an error and does not show anything in the available memory area. When I use device manager the hard drives shows up and says that it is working properly when I look at the properties, however as explained above it is not.

I will not have access to the internet with my laptop for a while so if their are any fixes I can do locally they would be greatly appreciated. If I do have to download a program, patch or anything else like that I will also appreciate those as I will eventually have access to the internet. If the problem is unfix able I was also wondering if their was a way for me to retrieve the files on the hard drive and move them to my computer so i could still have access to them.

Thank you very much
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Jan 14, 2015 at 03:16 AM
Hello brusobr,

With the exception of the command chkdsk /r that you might have to perform on your ext. HDD, I think most of the solutions have to come from the Internet. What I have in mind? Well, first of all, I think you must download the hard drive manufacturer's software for testing the disk. No matter what the test shows, you should get a data recovery program and try to extract your data from the Toshiba drive.
I'm afraid that the disk might be damaged greatly so as a last resort you should think of bringing it to a data recovery company. The reason I'm saying this is that your drive was working while falling - that could cause irreparable damages related to the platters while spinning and the heads while reading/writing.

Hope that I helped.

KY_WD