Gateway laptop will not reinstall windows vista

Closed
OBwan - Feb 26, 2015 at 09:37 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 28, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Hello,

any help would be appreciated. After trying to reset to factory settings, the screen is black, only options given are F2 and F12, I've even tried the cd, only to have the error won't reinstall windows, must restart computer. Not many options with only a black screen.

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 27, 2015 at 03:09 PM
Hi OBwan

Can you get into safe mode? (Press the [f8] key several times after booting and choose "Save Mode" by using the arrow keys and the [enter] key).

You dont mention if the installation disk is a Microsoft disk (retail) or one that came with the machine. If it isnt a Microsoft one and didnt come with the machine (or if you bought it second hand and the seller provided the cd that was not for this machine) then it is quite possible that it will not work - vendors do put blocks on what cds work with what models/makes.

Can you put the exact message that is shown? this will help with troubleshooting the issue.

Did the machine have Vista prior to your attempt to reinstall?

Let me know the answer to ALL of these questions and we will make a start on solving this issue :^)
Thank you for your reply, I tried it to no avail. The disk is Microsoft and was bought new. At 1st the windows logo starts to appear on screen, then screen turns black, that's when Setup is starting services appears at the bottom of the screen. After a couple minutes the error box appears " windows cannot complete installion in safe mode. To continue installing windows restart your computer. Once it restarts the setup is starting services appears again. A few times the error box will not appear, but the computer doesn't sound/ look like it's doing anything at all. How long does the setup is starting services take. Once screen still black loading windows files appeared, it looked as everything loaded. Any other suggestions. Thanks again
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > OBwan
Feb 28, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Hmmmm ...

Im not quite sure what you mean by "Once screen still black loading windows files appeared, it looked as everything loaded". Do you mean it boots the original insatllation?

Anyway, that is irrelavent because (as I understand it) you are trying to reinstall Windows from a Microsoft retail CD as though it is a virgin install - just Windows and nothing else.

Ok, Usually BIOS is configured to boot from the hard drive as its first bootable device. If if doesnt find a boot partition it goes to the next on the list - usually the CD or DVD drive. Of cause, in a previously imaged computer it will always find the Hard Drive and boot off that. We want to force it to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

As soon as you switch on you see the F2 or F12 option. When you see this press [F12] button. some PCs need repeated pushes to get it at the right time - others just one press is enough. I always go for multipul presses. Soon you will be presented with the Boot Option screen.

Using the arrow keys select CD/DVD (depending on what you have or is presented), and then press the [Enter] key. after a few seconds the screen will show "Press any key to boot fron CD". It displays this for 5 seconds and if a key isnt pressed the machine restarts. It is important to press a key at this time - some keys are not read so press a letter key.

Now you will be asked a few questions - respond as you feel right - it is obvious what to do from here on in.

I would expect Vista to load in about an hour or so, but there are a few questions to be answered about 1/3 way through and at the end.

When Vista is loaded the first thing to do would be to install an antivirus. Then install any missing drivers your hardware needs. However, if you have no other way of downloading an antivirus (if you havent already got one) then install the network driver first if it hasnt already installed. It might be worth downloading these before you begin this process.

Good luck.

Let me know how you get on.