Plugged in not charging

Closed
svita Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday April 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 21, 2015 - Apr 21, 2015 at 09:46 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 21, 2015 at 06:05 PM
My dell inspiron is not charging , it say plugged in not charging. please help.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 21, 2015 at 06:05 PM
I found the following information: (on the Dell user site)

"I have the same problem I have found out what the issue is it's not hardware related. Something in the Dell BIOS is messed up and needs fixed by Dell. There is a setting in the BIOS that does not stick when changed so you have to do it each time but its simple. When powering up hit F2 to go into the BIOS setup the go to the Advanced tab. There is setting called battery charging mode or something to that effect. Highlight that option hit Standard and then hit F10 to exit and save. Once started you battery will be charging, this will need to be performed during each boot up until the come out with a BIOS update that fixes this issue. Even if you see Standard upon reboot change to another option back to standard and then F10 close and save. This will work every time hopefully Dell figures this out and fixes the BIOS and quits wasting money on changing hardware that will not fix the issue. I had 3 onsite techs come out change the charger 3 times and the motherboard 2 times each time it reverted back to "plugged in, not charging". Hope this helps everyone out for the meantime until there is a permanent fix."